Chapter 8

"Ollie, how you doing?" My mother says from the doorway. I look up at her. She seems scared.

I instantly inquire about this person, "Mom, who is Sky, and how well do you know him?"

Mom deflects, "An old friend who's helped us in the past. Why do you ask?"

"Dakota told me to ask you."

She definitely looks terrified. Her eyes go dark and cloudy. I haven't seen her this terrified since dad was in the picture, but she quickly regains her composure like nothing happened. Mom is definitely concerned, "Let me go get them. I have questions to ask the both of you."

Shit. What did I do now? I never once told Dax about life pre-high school. And, what does dad have to do with this? He's the only one to make mom look like that. How do they both know this Sky person but not the same part of them (I don't know their pronouns), and how am I stuck in the middle of it?

Dax comes in and I ask for assistance, "Dakota, help me sit up?" They don't even respond. They just start helping.

Mother starts going like she's interrogating us, "Dakota, why did you have Oliver ask me about Sky?"

"Because he needs to know who he really is," Dax remarks.

"How do you even know about Sky? Oliver doesn't even know him," the interrogating continues, but I can tell mom is fighting back tears.

Dax explains, "I went through Oliver's phone before we called the ambulance back at the club. The number who has him terrified about some decision belongs to Sky."

"How do you know Sky's number?" mom presses on.

Dax is actually deflecting now, "That's not important. How did Sky weasel himself into your lives? He's not good."

Mom backs down, "We'll get back to how you know Sky later. But, Sky is good. He's an old friend. Like I told Oliver, he's helped us in the past."

Now Dakota presses this Sky issue, "Sky doesn't do anything if it doesn't benefit himself. What's really going on Momma Vasi?"

I can't stay silent anymore. "Mom, you have that look in your eye that you only get when dad's involved with something."

Dax gets dazed by this statement, "Hold up, your dad's around? You told me he left before you were born."

Now tears are slowly streaming down my face, but I pay them no mind. "I told you that to protect you. If my dad finds out about you, he'll kill you."

Mom interjects in a mother tone, "Oliver, that's not going to happen while Sky's involved."

Dax laughs, "We have very different definitions of Sky then. Sky's plan was to have me drugged instead, but it got screwed up.

Me and my mom say at the same time, "What are you talking about?"

Dakota explains, "Sky sent out to have me drugged, and his plan backfired."

Mom clarifies, "Sky always has a plan. He wouldn't want his nephew getting caught in the crossfire."

"I have an uncle?"

"You're related to Sky?"

"Yes and yes. Sky's my brother. He helped us with your father," mom discloses.

"So, I'm in here and in this state because of some sick uncle?" I insinuate.

Mom doesn't back down from the 'he's good spiel'. "He's helping. You know what Miller would do if he found Blair."

"And Blair is?"

I don't even think twice, "My sister who's in hiding."

"I'll be back with my dad and Oakley."

"Who's Oakley? I question.

Without hesitation, Dax answers, "One of our personal bodyguards. I'll explain when I get back."

I question my mother now, "Why didn't you tell me I have an uncle?"

Mom looks sad like she's remembering, "I wanted you to be able to live a normal life that Blair couldn't. And then the years went on, and I thought we were finally done with your father until you got instructions from Sky."

That actually makes sense. I don't know what to say to that.

Dax's dad comes in and mom acknowledges him, "Pops. Good to see you. Wish it was under different circumstances."

Pops just says, "Same. How are you feeling Oliver?"

I don't care for any of these pleasantries. "Cut the crap and tell me why Dakota brought you in here."

Pops chuckles, "Ah. Straight to business I see. So, we all have a mutual person in common: Sky. He's one of our rivals but apparently kin to you which makes this a very messy situation."

Dax interrupts, "Sky's head of a different mob. I can see the confusion on your face."

"Mom, did you know?"

Mom looks relieved to an extent, "I knew he had connections but not this. But, that would make it easy for him to get your father locked away for good."

This is not what I thought I was going to hear today. My best friend's family is in a mob rival to an uncle that I never knew I had. The very same uncle who got my dad sent away which is also the guy who sent me instructions and got me drugged. No wonder Dakota was always relaxed about things and why people seemed scared of his family. Shit. Maybe I should've told him about the threat, but too late now.

Pops looks at me, "Oliver, did you hear us?"

I totally wasn't paying attention, "What?"

He asks me, "What decision are you supposed to be making today for Sky?"

"To go with him to find my sister."

Pops gets a wave of worry on his face, "What happens if you decide not to go?"

I look over at Dakota. They know what will happen if I don't go. They read it on me in our spot, and if they were paying close attention to what I said earlier, they'll know.

Dakota catches on, "Shit. I know what happens."

I just start crying. I continue looking at Dax this whole time not caring that there's other people in this room. I don't even try to stop the tears or wipe my face.

Dakota is looking right back at me. Our eyes are unwavering. "You have to go," they declare.

Pops fumes, "Will someone please tell me what the fuck is going on?"

Dax is quick to answer, "If he doesn't go with Sky, I die."

"Motherfucker. That bastard thinks he can kill you? He has worse things coming for him," he roars.

Mother chimes in, "Guys, if Miller really is out of prison, this is the best chance we all have at survival."

I have to back mom up on this one, "Guys, Mom's right."

Dakota, completely shocked and painted with worry, demands, "How can you say that? Sky already put you in here."

"With that, I take a deep breath and try to steady myself. It doesn't work. I shudder right before I say my next words. "I can say it because I know the damage my father can do. Whatever this Sky person did to me is nothing compared to what my father has done and can do." My face is dark and cold at this point. I am empty but also filled with a burning fire inside of me. I look at my mom, and I can tell she feels the same way.

Dakota assesses the situation and makes a snap judgement, "Guys. Leave us." I can tell Dax is looking at me as they say this. They are truly concerned. They're about to use their psych or social work brain on me. I never really cared to learn the difference between the two. I can hear them sit in the chair beside the bed. "This is why you never talk about anything pre-high school." They say that more as a statement than as a question, but at the same time, they say this in such a nurturing voice and soothing tone. They know this is the truth. I can't bring myself to look at them. So, I just turn and face the other direction. It's too painful. The memories. I can still feel it. I can still experience it even though I knew he was locked up. All those emergency room and hospital visits over the years. We had to start going to other cities to get medical care just to avoid people getting curious about what was really happening. I know what it's like to be close to death because of my father.