Chapter 6

I hear my concerned father from behind, "How is he?" If I was strong before, I'm not anymore. My dad actually sounds caring right now, and that completely undid me. Just at the sound of him, my head drops, and my hand goes to my mouth, and I just start crying. I slowly turn around to face my dad.

I barely make out audible sounds through my silent sobbing, "He's not good. He's not conscious. As soon as we got here, they told me I couldn't go any further." My dad just wraps me into a hug and lets me continue to cry in his chest. Oliver has definitely made my dad softer or my dad has a soft spot for Oliver. Either way, I'm glad my dad's here with me right now. My dad ushers us over to the waiting room, and we sit in a corner where we can see everything. It's surprisingly not crowded for a hospital waiting room.

After I regain my composure, it's time to start talking business. I ask weakly, "Did you bring Oakley?"

Dad responds cautiously, "He's outside if we need anything. So, what's the deal with Sky?"

I stare at the ground as I retell the story in a shorter version. Dad starts, "Dakota, Oliver is one of us whether he knows this or not. We're not going to let anything happen to him. I'll check in with Devon while Wren is questioning." All I can do is nod. There's too many emotions inside of me. I'm the one who helps others with their emotions and problems. I should be able to help myself. But the knowledge is out there, I'm technically also in a traumatic experience even though Oliver has it worse doesn't invalidate my experience. I'm also suffering just in a different way. It's not physical trauma, it's emotional.

And damn, is that true.

Watching him get worse before my eyes, having him dragged into this world by Sky, having him be a pawn in this world that I tried so hard to protect him from. No amount of training and education will prepare me to experience this level of emotional trauma. I know what I'm supposed to do, but putting it into reality for myself is not the same. It's not like dissecting someone else's life and telling them how all the pieces interconnect and analyze that information with them and see what they want to do with it that's helpful to them. This is a matter of life and death. And, I quite frankly don't know which side is winning.

Dad interrupts my thinking, "Devon says the chick's name is Charlie. She's definitely one of Sky's girls."

That was all the fuel I needed for this fire already growing inside of me. I launch to my feet and storm out of the hospital. As soon as I get outside, I dial Sky's number. I pulled my phone out while I was walking out of the hospital.

Sky doesn't take long to pick up, "Dakota, what can I do for you?"

I snap at him, "Cut the crap Sky. Your plan backfired. I didn't get injected. Your girl, Charlie, fucked up."

Sky doesn't seem phased at all, "What do you know?"

I go off, training be damned, "That you threatened Oliver with something, and he has to make a decision by this afternoon for you about something, and it could come between us. What I don't know is why you got him involved to begin with or why you think you could come between us."

Sky laughs, "1) That's not of your concern. 2) Clearly, I can get between the two of you. Where are you right now?"

Oh... yeah. Crap.

Sky continues, "Right, that's what I thought."

I bounce back, "You think this over. Two can play this game. We'll get information out of Charlie.

"She fucked up. Do what you want to her," he throws her in.

He doesn't seem the least bit concerned about us getting information or contacts from her, "Got it."