Chapter 12

"Dax, you can't control this. Come here." Dax reluctantly comes over and sits on the bed. "We're gonna have to talk to Sky sooner if it really was his plan to inject either of us. He may know where my father is. "

"And if he doesn't, then Charlie has to."

"Who's Charlie?"

"The lady we danced with who also injected you."

"See that's a start: breadcrumbs to my asshole of a father."

Dr. Ripley comes back, "What did you find out?"

"How quickly can I get hemodiafiltration?"

"I can set it up rather quickly. I'll go put the order in." Then he leaves again.

"What the fuck did you find?" Dakota demands.

"Dax, honey, I was poisoned, but it was only trace amounts. Just the right amount of numbers out of balance mixed with what's in my system told me. They wouldn't have found it."

"Why are you so calm about this?"

"Dakota, I've been through this before. That's how I know the formula changed. I know what it does to my system. This time, I thought it was just the alcohol and my emotions taking their toll. Then I woke up here, and thought I was drugged because we were at a club. Injected. . . drugged, it's the same thing. But with everything going on, this is more than your normal injection." I put my hand up to Dax's face caressingly, "I'll be okay. I noticed it fast enough."

Dakota kisses me like they don't want to let me go, like they're afraid that I'm not coming back. I can't blame them. They've never had to deal with my father before. This is new territory for them. I can hear someone clear their throat, so I pull away from Dakota. I see nurses standing in the doorway with Dr. Ripley. I give Dakota another kiss on the cheek. "I'll be fine. Remember, it's not the first time. I'll see you when this is over."