Progress

Diana survived the critical 24 hour period since her accident, her vital signs are getting stable and her body was slowly recovering from her injuries.

Charles breathed a sigh of relief when Dr. Piers informed him of Diana's progress. He thanked Dr. Piers and the doctors attending to her for keeping her alive.

Dr. Piers also informed the prince that as soon as Diana's condition gets better and the swelling in her brain lessened, they will be taking off her medically induced coma.

"Will she suffer any long term side effects after she recovers?" Charles asked ahead about Diana's future, he knows it is too early to tell but he needed to know so he will know how to take care of her properly.

"We can't say anything for now your royal highness, but it will be her physical rehabilitation that will have to come after she recovers." Dr. Piers said honestly.

Charles knew Diana will be in a wheel chair for quite sometime beacuse of her broken legs, and will be needing all the support she will need from him when she returns home.

A knock caught Charles' attention who wanted to ask more question at Dr. Piers.

"Excuse me your royal highness but there is something urgent I have to discuss with you."

It was his secretary who knocked.

Charles shook Dr. Piers' hand and dismissed him so he could talk privately with his secretary.

...xxx...

Charles waved his hand, he was annoyed when his secretary cut off his discussion about Diana's health with her head doctor, "What could be more urgent than my wife's condition?"

"It's Mrs. Parker Bowles your highness...she's here at the hospital and insists on having a word with you."

Charles paced back and forth, "How did she manage to get past security? Didn't I specifically instructed you to inform my guards that she is not to be seen anywhere in my presence or Diana's?"

"Yes I did your royal highness but she still managed to slip pass them. The guards managed to hold her off inside the hospital's conference room and insisted that she will not leave until she's done talking to you."

Camilla's never been stubborn before, she knows who she was in his life and that is what he liked about her, that's why he kept on coming back to her. But ever since his divorce and Diana's accident happened, he slowly realized to himself how much Diana's worth was to him and how much he did love her. 

"Fine I will go talk to her before she makes a scene." Charles said in an annoyed tone of voice and left to go to Camilla.

...xxx...

When Charles entered the conference room Camilla wanted to embrace and kiss him but he brushed her off.

"Fred..." Camilla sounded sad when he called him by his nickname to her.

"Don't call me that." Charles said through gritted teeth.

"So this is it? Until when before you come calling me back to your arms again? Until she recovers, until she steals your spotlight again, until she bores you at your bed?"

"Stop!" Charles banged his hand at the table so loud even Camilla was taken back.

In the many years they were together this the first time Charles raised his voice on her.

"I mean it this time Camilla, I am ending whatever we still have. I appreciate the years you stood by my side, the times you lend me your ear when I voiced out my frustrations, the times you warmed me up when I was cold."

Camilla tried to hold back her tears but can't.

"After the pain you caused her, do you think she'll ever forgive you, take you back in her arms after she recovers?"

Her words cut deep in his heart and mind because Camilla's words are true. How sure was he that Diana will take him back after everything he did to her.

"If it will take me a lifetime making up for my mistakes for her to forgive and take me back in her arms then I will gladly spend my entire lifetime to earn her forgiveness. Almost losing her made me realize how much she means to me, how much I did love her despite everything. I am sorry Camilla, but it is Diana I chose and will always choose." Charles said sincerely.

Camilla as mature as she was understood Charles, she knew he did love Diana he just can't express it well since he was torn between the two of them. She was hoping Charles will fight for them that's why she kept holding on to him despite being hated by the entire world for being his mistress, the cause of Diana's pain the woman everyone loves.

She thought she had the chance when Charles and Diana separated and eventually got their divorce, but since their divorce Charles spent more time with Diana, talking together about their children and their lives living separately and showed her maturity. Diana almost losing her life was the final straw for Charles to realize how much he loves his ex wife and now that he made it clear to her she must let him go.

"I will always love you Fred...that's why I am letting you go. Diana is your happiness, you don't have to worry about me ruining your lives again...I will not interfere anymore. Good luck with her, appreciate her this time Charles." Camilla said with tears in her eyes and left the conference room leaving Charles alone inside.

"Camilla..." Charles was glad Camilla finally let him go and unlike Diana before, he knows Camilla will keep everything to herself and not let the public know about the extent of their relationship.

...xxx...

After his talk with Camilla, Charles called his sons and updated them with the progress of their mother's recovery. He also talked to the queen that he finally put an end to his relationship with Camilla and that Diana was getting better.

When he was done talking to the queen, Charles talked to the press about Diana's condition and was asked about why he called her his wife and why he still stayed at the hospital depite being divorced with her for a year.

"Diana will always be my wife, I am worried about her as much as everyone else whose hearts she touched. I am telling this now to the whole world that once Diana is well and fully recovered I will ask her to marry me again." Charles announced and immediately left to avoid further questions from the media.

...xxx...

A week had gone by since Diana's accident, her bodyguard regained conciousness 2 days prior and informed Charles and the police about what happened in their accident.  

When her bodyguard recalled the events to him, Charles felt Diana's pain at the whole ordeal and wished to take it back if he could to avoid her being in pain. Diana's head of security informed the royal guard at the palace of what her bodyguard informed them about the accident to update the queen about it.

...xxx....

Charles was allowed to stay beside Diana when her vitals signs were stable and not needed to be under her doctors constant watch. Her body was recovering well, some of her bruises and wounds are healed and the swelling in her brain was less.

The doctors decided to remove her medically induced coma for she's recovering well and will wake up anytime soon, bringing a genuine smile to Charles.

The prince wanted nothing more but for Diana to see him first when she wakes up. Which is why he asked the doctors to leave him alone with her and that he will call them once she's awake.

He held into her hand and laid his head on Diana's bed to take a nap while waiting for her to wake up, ever since he arrived in Paris he never had a chance to sleep and will occassionally take naps to recover his strength for he always waits for any updates from Diana's doctors.

As he took his nap, he felt somthing moved in his hand, he woke up and lifted his head to confirm what he felt.

"Charles..." Charles felt his eyes water when he saw Diana finally awake and heard her call his name after almost losing her.

....xxx...

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. I am sorry if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes.