The Crash

Balmoral Castle

Charles woke up at 1 am, sweat covered his body, his head hurt and his heart felt heavy. He didn't know why his sleep was cut off and why he was feeling heavy and dread all of a sudden when he woke up.

He tried to calm himself, so he rose from his bed and washed his face. Charles was about to return to his bed and try to go back to sleep when he heard a knock on his door.

He went to the door and slightly opened it and saw his head of security.

"Your royal highness....I am sorry to intrude but there has been an accident." The head of his security started.

Charles felt weak at the mention of accident, who could be involved in an accident at this time.

"Do continue." Charles instructed.

"It was the princess...lady Diana was involved in a car accident in Paris. They notified her head of security first and called me to notify you your highness."

Charles braced himself with the door frame to avoid himself from falling, despite their rough marriage and divorce Diana is still the mother of their children and he values her still.

"How's her condition?" Charles' voice almost sounded broke at this from trying to control his emotion.

"The last update was, she's in critical condition the doctors are doing their best to keep her alive."

"I will notify the queen and my sons. Wake my secretary and tell him to prepare the private plane, I will go to Paris immediately. Ask Diana's head of security to join me to Paris, I will see him at the airport. Thank you for informing me."

Charles' head of security nodded and bowed before he left the prince alone. When he closed the door, he felt the tears in his eyes and felt devastated. How can something like a terrible accident happen to Diana of all people?

After he composed himself he went to his dresser to get dressed on his suit, and prepared to speak to his mother the queen and to his sons about what happened to Diana. His poor sons, how will they react to this if he felt devastated when he heard the news what more his sons who recently talked to their mother on the phone early that evening.

...xxx...

Charles knocked on her mother's bedroom door and told her the news of Diana involved in a car accident in Paris. Like him the queen was shocked when she heard the news.

"I have to talk to my sons about what happened to their mother and then I will go to Paris, I already notified my secratary to arrange the private plane...Diana my wife she needs me there." Charles said with a sad look on his face.

Elizabeth noticed his son calling Diana his wife but did not elaborate more, the pained look on his son's face said everything about what he's feeling. "Do whatever you need to do son, update us on her condition when you arrive there. Don't hesitate to call us if you need any help or assistance."

"I will ma, thank you. Do take care of my sons for me while I am away. They can't see their mother in pain, Diana would not like that."

...xxx...

Charles went to the room of his sons and woke them up.

"Father?" William yawned.

Harry's eyes was still half closed when Charles woke him and placed him on his lap.

"William come near here." Charles called his eldest near him and Harry.

"William, Harry I don't know how to say this without hurting you both but your mother...she's been involved in an accident."

"Mother? How? Why?" William asked breaking down into tears.

"We just talked to her last night." Harry said and cried.

Charles embraced both of his sons and cried with them. "I am going there now and see your mother's condition. I promise to return her to you my sons, I will make us a family again if she survives. I swear this to the both of you."

....xxx...

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. I am sorry if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes.