Chapter 20 - Even more travelling

The group had climbed down the tree a while ago. Continuing to walk around the plain in search of a place to hide. Star and Cross were up in front. Talking about some strategies to tackle Ink and the chaos he had now brought with him.

Meanwhile Moon. Former guardian of negativity, leader of the moon sanses and the most feared being in all of the multiverse. Was reduced to nothing more than a babysitter at this point. He was looking at the two guardians who were running around looking at anything and everything.

Dream looked down at the ground. Having spotted a tiny hole under the ground. He crouched down next to it. "Hey Nighty."

"Yeah?" Nightmare crouched next to him.

"Do you think an animal lives in there?" He gets on his hands and his knees and peers inside.

Nightmare sighs. "Probably. I mean animals do create burrows and stuff like this." Nightmare looks at the hole in the ground.

A sharp gasp came from Dream. "Nighty, there's a rabbit!" Dream exclaimed. Dream reached his hand down the hole.

"Uh Dream I don't think that's a good idea-" Nightmare tensed up, waiting for the inevitable.

Dream soon pulled his hand out. "There's bunnies! I petted them!" Dream smiled, grinning from ear to ear.

"Dream I don't think you should be petting them." Nightmare wraps his arms around Dream's waist and picks him up.

Dream whines. "But Nighty. The bunnies." He looks up at his brother. Looking upset.

"You need to leave them alone. You might attract predators to them by accident by poking around. The mummy rabbit probably is probably now fixing her burrow to keep them safe." Nightmare states.

Dream nods his head. "Like mummy? How she had the tree with magically branches to keep us safe while we slept?" He tilts his head like a curious puppy. Holding his hands together.

Nightmare looks unsure. Before his eyes light up. "Why don't we ask Moon? Mum did bring them to protect us."

Dreams eyes morph into stars. "Yeah your right!" He hugs Nightmare quickly. "Moon!" He then runs towards him holding Nightmares hand.

Moon looks towards the two of them. "Yes? What's the matter?"

"I have a question about mum." Dream smiles up at him. "Did she use the tree to protect us?"

Moon looks frightened for a moment. Oh no. This might just blow his cover... but luckily he had gained their trust. "Yeah. She is part of the tree after all." He says hesitating and looking nervous as he answered.

Nightmare could feel the anxiety coming from Moon. Nightmare's face changes from a similar expression to Dream to one more worried.

"Is that true?" He asks.

"Yeah. I mean come on. She infused herself in the tree after making you two." Moon says smiling. But Nightmare could tell it wasn't a happy smile... a nervous one.

"Why are you so nervous?" Nightmare questions. Dream looks confused as he looked up at his brother then back at Moon. "Mum did send you and Star to look after us, right?"

Star perks up. "Yeah she did. Its just difficult to talk about her sometimes. Moon here was very close to her so its difficult for him to talk about her sometimes." Star pats the two's head.

"Oh okay" Nightmare nods his head... still not quite believing the two. But Star did have a point. After all it did appear that only him and Dream could see her and feel her presence. "So does that mean she's okay then? You know by herself... the villagers... their not gonna chop down the tree right?"