Chapter 14 - Capes

"Star"

"Star"

"Star!"

"WHAT?!" Star yelled, turning harshly to face Moon. A twig snapping under his force. Star's hands were clenched in tight fists, glued to his sides.

Moon looked down slightly at Star. "Don't you realise what you've done."

Star didn't move, instead but he bit the inside of his cheek. Star gripped onto his cape and Moon noticing that his eye colour was going a dark dull shade of gold, as if the colour the gold was rusting and loosing it's value.

The wind darted around their feet, evacuating some of the leaves and a sense of déjà vu washed other the two brothers. Similar to the many battle's they have had. It was tense. A very tense atmosphere. Star took off his gloves, throwing them down to the ground.

"Star?" Moon didn't get a reply as Star just sat down on the ground. His clothes draping on the forest floor around him. Moon sat next to him as well. "Tell me what's the matter. Why are you crying?"

"I already told you. I just need a moment." Star wiped his eyes.

Moon nodded, scooping up the gloves. "I'll go check on the boys then." Moon got up and walked away.

Star didn't move or make a noise, to confirm to Moon that he knew. In fact Star took off his cape as soon as Moon was gone. He fiddled with the fabric. The cape had already changed once, but kept the same fabric that Moon had used when they were younger. Could Star even change? Why was he still clinging onto the past?

It was in the past. But it hurt Star so much to think of just getting a new one. It hurt so badly. He hugged the bit of fabric, a few tears already falling onto it.

Meanwhile,

Moon entered the house again.

"IT'S ALL MY FAULT DREAM!" he looked up at the floorboards. "Why'd we even think that was a good idea." Moon heard the floor creaking.

Moon heard quick and small footsteps, as Dream crouched down and hugged Nightmare. "It's okay Nighty! We can apologise later! I'm sure Star will understand and we can say sorry for upsetting him."

Moon headed up the stairs and creaked open the door.

"Do you want me to get your favourite book? While we wait for Star to come back." Dream hoped up.

Nightmare just shrugged, putting himself into a little ball. "How are you so fine with this? Don't you feel a little worried?" Nightmare questioned, tightening himself into the ball.

Dream gave Nightmare a soft smile. "Well, I'm trying to lighten the mood! We can't have loads off sadness! But we can still feel guilty about it. I'm just doing what I know to do to make you smile." Dream put his fingers on his cheeks and puffed them up, doing a silly face.

Nightmare giggled happily, seeing then as Dream was doing a silly little dance. Nightmare humming a little song as well, though it was rather difficult with Dream's exaggerated facial expressions. However, the two were surprised when Moon walked in.

Nightmare instantly went back into his little ball and Dream, lost his smile. "Is Star okay?" Dream asked holding his hands behind his back.

Moon sighed. "He just needs a moment. It's hard for him." Moon sat down on one off the beds.

"He hates us doesn't he?" Nightmare mumbled.

Moon shook his head and ruffled the top of Nightmare's head. "No. He doesn't have it in him to hate anyone. Trust me, I should know."

Nightmare uncovered from the small ball. "Really?" He questioned shyly.

"Hey, I'm his brother." Moon reassured.

"Yeah, like I know you can't hate anyone Nighty!" Dream beamed happily as he sat down next to Nightmare and gave him a side hug.

Nightmare hugged back. "Agreed!"

Moon had a caring smile dawning his face. As Dream already had a book in his hands. Nightmare took the book and began reading it. The room wasn't too quite. However, the wind was hitting against the window.

Moon glanced out, he was indeed wondering where Star was up too. Though he wasn't too worried, Star could clearly handle himself. Even when the sun began to hit the top of the tree of feelings and the oranges and purples mixed into the sky.

Star soon trotted back home. His cape in shreds. His shoes gone, having thrown them in a nearby tree. Birds and squirrels could use that old thing, he told himself. His feet were bare as the sound of crunching sticks, crackled under his step. He soon made it back to the small house. Heading inside.

The door shutting quietly behind him.

Moon came down stairs upon feeling the others presence. Moon's eye went wide. "What did you do to your cape?"

Star looked other at him tired, having a smirk on his face. "Let go off it. I let go off the past." Star folded his arms and rested them on the back off the chair.

Moon was baffled. "Then what were the tears for! You made Nightmare upset."

"I know. I don't regret crying. You would of as well. Change is scary Moon. I have to embrace and sadly the cape was holding me back."

Moon put his hands on the chair. "Well done, dear brother. I guess you have embraced change rather well."

"I haven't. But I will."

"Whatever you say." Moon rolled his eyes. "Tea?"

"That would be lovely."

The whispers of Nightmare and Dream could soon be heard, as they planned their apology to Star. Nightmare coward behind Dream only a little bit, he was just scared off what Star would say to him.

"Star. We're really sorry about making you cry." Dream spoke up, after a little nudge from Nightmare.

Star just gave a thumbs up. "And I'm sorry for over reacting. I shouldn't have done that. It was just difficult for me to let go off key events that have happened in my life and it's not your fault." Star continued. "Thank you for the cape though." He added.

"It wasn't a problem." Nightmare mumbled shyly.

"But I don't think I really want one for the time being. So I have a new idea." Star spoke. "Where is it?"

"Over there!" Dream rushed other and picked up the fabric, handing it to Star.

"Thank you." He again thanked, another wave of déjà vu hit as he looked at the sun emblem.

Was he ready for change?

Of course he was. "Okay. I'm going to cut this in two, paint two little stars on the back and give them to you two." Star looked up at Dream and Nightmare.

Again the two boys exchanged a look. Before nodding enthusiastically. "Thank you Star!" The two screamed out in unison smiling and giggling.

"Not a problem." Star took the fabric other to the dining room table. Moon soon handing him a cup of tea.

Star soon got to work. Though it would take him the rest off the day and probably to the next morning to finish it off. 

-------------------