Katara || Gingerbread Houses

Ever since we were kids, Sokka, Katara and I had held a gingerbread house decorating competition during the winter time. Typically, we would all be pitched against each other, but since our friend group had expanded tremendously this year, we figured that we could have a bigger competition than normal. 

We decided to do it all in teams of two, because we had a lot of people. In the end, I was paired up with my girlfriend, Katara, which I did not mind. Since we had been doing this for years, we used our strengths in order to build the best gingerbread house possible. 

Sokka, who had been paired up with Suki, was busy complaining about how unfair this was. 

"But they do this every year! How is it fair that they get to work together?" 

"You know, this is not my first time decorating a gingerbread house, right? Besides, maybe if you started decorating instead of complaining so much, we could actually beat them," Suki reasoned, making Katara and I laugh. 

"She makes a good point Sokka, I mean, look at Zuko and I!" Aang grinned proudly, motioning to their gingerbread house, which had been properly assembled and partially decorated already. 

"Yeah!" Zuko continued, "we've been working well together."

Sokka scoffed before focusing back on the task in front of him. 

Katara and I had been making a lot of progress, and we were working on the roof. She started by taking the bag of frosting and making nice wavy lines on top of the gingerbread, and I followed behind with some sprinkles here and there to add a nice touch. 

"Woah, that looks so cool!" Ty Lee exclaimed, coming over to our station. I smiled at her, responding with a "thank you." She was a pretty close friend of mine now, and she offered me advice when I needed help confessing to Katara. 

Her and Mai were amongst our panel of judges, along with Katara and Sokka's grandma, and Toph. They would judge us on taste and appearance, and by taste, I mean how balanced the sweetness is, as it is easy to go overboard with all of the candy. 

Whoever won was exempt from cleaning up the mess afterwards, so the stakes were high. However, I was not worried, since Katara and I were doing really well. Besides, both of us had years of experience, so we knew the best ways to decorate our house. 

After finishing the roof, we each started to work on a different wall. We did our best to make them both symmetrical, which, in my opinion, worked out really well. On the walls we stuck peppermint swirls, with one in the center of each gingerbread board. 

Finally, we started working on the little cookie people that would "live" inside of our gingerbread house. Frosting bag in hand, I began to give the gingerbread person I had picked up some clothing. 

Using the internet for inspiration, I made the gingerbread person some overalls and a nice undershirt. For someone who is not a professional, I did pretty well, not to toot my own horn.

Just as I was finishing up, an interesting conversation between the other two groups reached my ears. I placed my frosting bag down as I listened intently.

"-And do you want to know what he said? 'That's rough buddy.' THAT'S IT!" Sokka exclaimed, a little frosting dripping out of the bag in his grasp as he waved his hands around. 

"Well, what else was I supposed to say? 'Maybe you should just take a card out of Bruno Mars' book and talk to the moon?'" Zuko responded, eliciting a laugh from me. 

"HEY! (Y/N) YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE ON MY SIDE!" 

"Sorry Sokka. You have to admit, that was funny," I told the boomerang-enthusiast. He rolled his eyes at my statement, before deciding that he should probably finish his gingerbread house.