Sokka || Right in Front of Me

*okay, this chapter is a fluff, even though the song is angsty.*

________________________________________________________________________________

I'll use you as a warning sign.

This wasn't supposed to happen. It's too cliche. 

That if you talk enough sense, then it won't be fine.

I thought this only happened in the movies, but as I looked at him from across the table, my suspicions were correct. 

The way my heart fluttered could only mean one thing. 

And I'll use you as a focal point.

So I don't lose sight of what I want.

He laughed at some joke Zuko had made, though I didn't quite catch it. Something about a leaf and being "bushed." I tried to join in, but I could barely hear anything over the sound of my heart pounding in my chest. So instead, I resolved to sitting in silence, only breaking said silence to respond if someone asked me something. 

And I've moved farther than I thought I could, 

But I missed you more than I thought I would.

The bell rang, signaling that lunch was over. I packed everything into my bag before slipping it over my shoulder. 

After waving goodbye to everyone, Aang, Toph and I started walking to our next class. 

"So, when are you going to tell him (Y/N)?" Aang whispered, causing me to shrug. 

"I don't know, but whenever I'm around him, my heart just starts pounding, and that's all I can focus on. It's hard enough that he walks me home everyday, or that he comes over all the time. I'm surprised that I've even held out this long."

"I'll say. Your heart was doing backflips the entire lunch period, and you were practically silent," Toph said. 

"Exactly," Aang nodded, before continuing, "I think you should tell him. Besides, with the way he always acts around you, it's pretty obvious that he likes you back." 

And I'll use you as a warning sign,

That if you talk enough sense then it won't be fine.

"Actually, you're right. I need to tell him. He's my best friend, and he deserves to know," I replied as we found ourselves outside of our classroom. The three of us walked through the door, and went to our seats. 

Immediately after I had sat down, I discreetly pulled out my phone, and sent Sokka a text. 

me: hey, i need to talk to you after school. can we meet out front instead of at my locker?

Per usual, he responded quickly.

boomerang boy: yeah, sure, but did something happen?

me: oh, it's nothing bad. i promise. 

boomerang boy: oh, okay, that's good. i'll meet you there :)

me: alright :)

The bell rang once more, and I put my phone away, turning my attentio to the teacher as they started class. 

________________________________________________________________________________

A few hours later, I found myself out front, waiting for Sokka to make an appearance. I heard his voice from down the hall, even with all of the chatter of the other students around. His eyes searched the space in front of him, before finally resting his gaze on me. 

"Hey (N/N)! What did you need to talk to me about?" He asked, and I smiled at him, before quickly opening my mouth to answer. However, a crowd of our peers walked around us, talking about the day's events, and I wanted more privacy.

"Why don't we start walking? I can tell you on the way home," Sokka nodded at this, and we proceeded down the path we normally took. 

We walked in comfortable silence for a while, but I knew I had to break it. I cleared my throat, causing him to look over at me. 

"Okay, so the reason I texted you was because I have something to tell you, and it's pretty important," he hummed in response, urging me to continue. I drew in a breath, and let my heart take the reigns. 

"I like you. A lot. Though, I don't exactly know when it started. All I know is that whenever I see you, my heart decides to do jumping jacks," I exhaled, then looked up at him. His face wore a shocked expression, and I tried to decipher what he might be feeling. So far, it didn't seem like anything bad. 

After a moment, he began to smile widely, before throwing his arms around me. 

"You do? Oh my god, everything makes sense now. Aang did tell me that there was a high chance that you liked me back, and that's because he already knew! Wait, Toph knew too, didn't she? She was always teasing me about how I liked you and that we were going to end up dating eventually. Long story short: I like you too," I grinned at him, before returning the hug, giving him an affectionate squeeze. Both of us pulled back in order to make eye contact, and I intertwined our hands. 

"So, will you go out with me?" I asked, and he nodded, pulling me into another hug. 

I found love where it wasn't supposed to be,

Right in front of me,

Talk some sense to me.

Was it cliche? Yes, but that doesn't matter. What mattered was that I had this amazing man that I cared about deeply. No one could talk any "sense" to me, because there was nothing in this world that could make me part from him. The universe had pushed us together for a reason, and everyday I thanked it for giving me all I could have ever wanted. 

This was where I was meant to be. With him. 

I really had found the purest love right in front of me, and I never wanted to go back. Just like something straight out of a movie, my best friend and I had fallen for each other. 

And I couldn't be happier.

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: did i really use an angsty song for a fluffy one shot? yes, yes i did. however, it's a pretty good song. the song is "i found" by amber run, and all rights belong to amber run and the people who produced the song. 

okay, it has been a while since i have updated this book, so i'm sorry. i will still be updating this book though, but i will tell you all if that ever changes. also, thank you for 2.9K reads and 52 votes!!! you are all amazing, and thank you for being so patient. 

as always, i do not own the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and all rights belong to nickelodeon and the creators, as specified in the description of this book. 

i will talk to all of you in the next update, and remember to stay hydrated!!!

bye benders and non-benders!!! (you can choose whichever you would like to be)

-piper