13. Reminiscing

Nico

I was standing in the middle of the training arena at Camp Half Blood. The stands were empty, and no one was around. 

"Hello!?" I shouted, but my call went unanswered. Frowning, I walked towards the exit of the arena and stepped outside. It was dark out, and stars twinkled overhead. None of the cabins had lights on, and no one was outside. 

My ears suddenly picked up the sound of water, and I turned to see the beach. Waves lapped gently against the sand as I made my way towards it. 

As I got closer, I spotted a figure standing near the water. They had their back to me, and they had their hands in their pockets. 

"Hey!" I cried, and the mysterious person turned to face me. My eyes widened as I stared at a much younger version of Perseus. 

His hair was much shorter, and he seemed slightly skinner. But the thing that stood out to me the most was his eyes. Ever since my cousin took the throne, I had gotten used to seeing nothing but contempt and hatred whenever I met Perseus' gaze. 

Now though, at this very moment, his eyes were full of life and sincerity. 

"Who are you?" Perseus asked, tilting his head slightly. "What are you doing here? I've never seen you before." 

My breath caught in my throat. He didn't recognize me? 

What the Hades was going on? 

I took a step forward, my shoes sinking into the sand. Perseus stayed where he was as I got closer, his expression giving nothing away. 

I stopped a few feet away, and I noticed that my cousin was still much taller than me, even if I was facing a younger version of him. 

At least I knew that one thing hadn't changed. 

"I'm no one important." I finally said. "I'm just passing by."

Perseus' eyes narrowed before he lifted his shoulder in a half shrug. "I find that hard to believe, but I know that you aren't going to do anything that would endanger Camp."

I pursed my lips as Perseus turned away from me to take a seat on the sand. He crossed his legs and leaned his head back to stare up at the sky. 

"How would you know that I'm not a danger to Camp?" 

Perseus remained silent for a few seconds before he said "I have a feeling that I've seen you before. I can't really explain it, but something is telling me that I've met you."

I took a seat beside my cousin, digging my nails into the sand as I did so. I stared at the water and sighed. "You're right. You have seen me before, and we have met before." 

Perseus' gaze shifted over to me, and a small smile appeared on his face. "Ah. But it's strange. I don't remember your name." 

I closed my eyes briefly, remembering when Perseus had killed Atlas right in front of me, and when he had driven his scythe through my father's shoulder. 

I remembered receiving the news that Thalia and Hazel were dead, and that Perseus had murdered them. 

I remembered hunting him down and confronting him, and I ended up almost dying. 

"Are you alright?" Perseus asked in concern, and I opened my eyes to see him staring at me with a worried look on his face. 

I seriously can't believe that I'm currently having a conversation with the younger version of my cousin.