In Which Leo Makes a Mistake

"What happened? Where's Festus? Did Gaea die? When--" Leo's questions followed her everywhere over the next day, as he attempted to put the pieces of the past together. Calypso didn't mind; she loved being able to hear his extremely annoying voice again.

When the water was boiling and the loom was ready for weaving, she sat him down and said, "Listen."

"The last time you left me, something changed. The gods were silent, but the air felt heavy-- I guessed that something dark was stirring in the world. I desperately needed to know what was happening to you, and, at the time, Ogygia's magic was weak enough for me to break through it."

Leo's mouth hung open, eyes wide. "You broke through the island's magic?"

Calypso hid her smile. "Yes, I am not so foolish -nor so powerless- as the gods might think. I take advantage when I see an opening. The magic was faltering, and it took only minor alterations of the curse to lift the Mist around my island."

Leo watched her fingers as they darted across the threads of her loom, warp and weft blurring together under a skilled hand.

"What do you mean, the Mist around your island? Is it still gone?"

"The Mist kept my island separate from the outside world. Now, I can scry the present. I can send messages in dreams, if I wish to. I still cannot leave this place, the curse is not so forgiving as that, but the changes I have made lasted."

"So mortals can find you island now?"

"They already have."

"What???"

"A crew of... ill wishing men found their way to my shores."

Flames danced in Leo's dark hair, and his eyes burned dangerously. Calypso took a hand from the loom and touched his arm lightly.

"Do not worry for me, Leo. Witches have long had to defend ourselves from men who would hurt us. I am not like Circe or Medea, my sister sorceresses. I did not kill them or turn them into pigs. But I can defend myself, and those men will never come near me again."

Calypso turned to her weaving. "I learned my lessons long ago."

"Lifting the Mist allowed more communication between Ogygia and the outside world, so I was able to see your journey."

She turned shining eyes to Leo. "I saw how you and Hazel Levesque defeated Clytius. I was so proud of you."

Leo blushed, but Calpyso detected unease in it. "Calypso, you should know something about Hazel..."

Calypso's hand faltered, and the thread tangled. "Yes?" The word came out more menacing than she'd meant it, and the light in the cave darkened.