In Which the Snow Goddess Is Obnoxious

Calypso knew something was wrong when frost flowers began blooming on Festus's red hot plating. She watched them grow for a moment, before icy dread washed over her.

"Leo, I-" She stopped. Where Leo's warm body had been leaning against her a second earlier, freezing air now filled his place. Calypso whipped her head around, but Leo was gone. Gasping, she looked down, just in time to see a small figure plunge into a cloud. There was a dark hole where he had fallen. A scream dragged itself out of her throat. "Leo!!!

Calypso grabbed Festus's reins and yanked, hard. The dragon twisted in the air, losing altitude. Then he saw the hole ripped in the clouds, and his jeweled eyes burned red. Festus plunged into the grey haze, Calypso tightening her grip and hunching low against the humming machinery. The dragon tucked his wings in, becoming an aerodynamic projectile hurtling down, down, down.

Brightness exploded in Calypso's vision when they emerged from the clouds. Steel grey waves churned thousands of feet below, extending to the horizon on all sides. Lightning crackled and hissed as white particles blurred in her peripheral. Snow.

Wind screamed in her ears, trying to rip Calypso off Festus's back, but she stuck to him like a burr on wool. "There!!" She spotted the small figure, flailing through the air. Small objects trailed behind him, part of a torn dropcloth, iced-over knuts and bolts. They hit the delicate membrane of Festus's wings, ripping them. Festus was too big of a target. Leo flipped end over end, the angry ocean drawing ever nearer. Calypso made a decision.

"Catch us, to the left!"

Then she leaped off the dragon's back.