In Which the Death Dude Monologues

Leo died, and he didn't like it.

It was a struggle to leave his body, as broken as it was-- it felt like he was trying to pull his essence out of every charred muscle and tissue, every battered bone and joint. His soul was being jerked harshly between two forces, immensely bigger than himself.

It hurt. A lot.

The release was sweet after that, like a tight wire snapping from pressure. Darkness clouded his vision. After a moment of complete silence, the sound of lapping water drew his attention.

He found himself in a shadowy place, where everything was hazy around the edges. A black river flowed by him, murmuring things he didn't want to hear. A broken wrench floated by, a piece of Festus's plating, an old photograph, a crayon drawing of a boat. He went to the shore and picked up the photo with his translucent grey hands. He was a shade. Looking at the picture, he saw Sammy. It must be a memory of Hazel's. He prowled the shoreline, finding more broken memories. Bits of a picnic table, toddler's hands burned into the rotted wood. Failed science experiments. Another photo.

He stopped; it was a picture of his mom. Esperanza Valdez. She was holding him in her lap, her dark hair curling wildly over her shoulders, her eyes sparkling with love. He hadn't seen an image of her in the eight years since she'd died. Her hand rested on his shoulder, and Leo knew she was tapping out code for "I love you."

Leo howled, frustrated at himself for looking into the river.

He hated being Leo.

"Is it difficult, giving up on life?" A voice whispered in the darkness.

"You mortals intrigue me, with your quick beating hearts that forget the world above so soon. I have never seen someone mourn life at the river of death before."

Leo did not raise his head.

"You have not forgotten, Leo. What a name. It means lion, does it not?"

The curly head nodded once. Silence grew, then the voice spoke again.

"Most do not remember, when they come to this place. Their lives flit away from them, leaving empty husks I take across the river. Only great heroes and the children of the underworld know who they are."

Leo's voice broke as he whispered, "I am no hero." He looked down at his mother's face. It seemed hazy, like a faded memory. Her hair now seemed long and straight, her face slim and pale. Dark, almond shaped eyes glittered between his hands. Twice as brilliant as the stars. Leo shuddered.

"I wanted to find her, but I know she's gone on."

The voice was silent, for a moment.

"You swore on this river, I felt it... an oath to keep with a final breath.

I'm coming back for you, Calypso. I swear it on the river Styx."

Leo's smoky hands were pierced by the shards of black glass that formed the river bank. Here, at the end of the earth, he knew he had failed her. Both of them.

The next time the voice spoke, it sounded startled.

"Someone is calling you back." The gloom swirled, agitated.

Leo looked behind him, and where before there had been darkness, now glowed a single light.

It was like a candle, a little wavering flame. It flickered and danced, and suddenly Leo thought of the sun.

"What happens if I follow the light?" Leo asked.

"I am not sure," answered the voice, confused and... hopeful?

"Maybe the gods have given you a second chance at life." As the gloom lightened, Leo saw the dark shape of the boatman, a skeleton draped in tattered fabric. Charon gestured at the Styx, the memories swirling in black water.

"You are not finished yet, Leo Valdez. You swore, and such oaths cannot be broken, even by death." The skull grinned at him.

"Next time you visit me, remember your drachma."

Light blinded Leo, and he gasped for breath.

***

Photo credit: Mads Schmidt Rasmussen