Chapter Seven: Dadfoot

Lily did her absolute best not to hex Dracula every time she saw him. That was, of course, because he was constantly going on and on and on about how Moony was an awful teacher and how his old house-elf had dressed better than him. Instead of hexing him, Lily kindly reminded him that he didn't have a house-elf anymore because his father had been tricked by a twelve-year-old boy. That usually shut him up quickly, at least when he was around his friends.

She was currently in the locker rooms at the Quidditch pitch with the rest of the team while Wood ranted.

"This is our last chance —my last chance — to win the Quidditch Cup," he told them, striding up and down in front of them. "I'll be leaving at the end of this year. I'll never get another shot at it. "Gryffindor hasn't won for seven years now. Okay, so we've had the worst luck in the world —injuries — then the tournament getting called off last year." Wood swallowed, as though the memory still brought a lump to his throat.

"But we also know we've got the best — ruddy —team — in — the — school," he said, punching a fist into his other hand, the old manic glint back in his eye. 

"We've got three superb Chasers." Wood pointed at Lily and her fellow chasers, making her grin proudly. She didn't actually get complimented very often unless it was by Teddy. "We've got two unbeatable Beaters."

"Stop it, Oliver, you're embarrassing us," said Fred and George Weasley together, pretending to blush and making Lily snicker.

"And we've got a Seeker who has never failed to win us a match!" Wood rumbled, glaring at Harry with a kind of furious pride. "And me," he added as an afterthought. 

"We think you're very good too, Oliver," said George. "

Spanking good Keeper," said Fred. 

"The best," agreed Lily. 

"The point is," Wood went on, resuming his pacing, "The Quidditch Cup should have had our name on it these last two years. Ever since Harry and Lily joined the team, I've thought the thing was in the bag. But we haven't got it, and this year's the last chance we'll get to finally see our name on the thing..." 

Wood spoke so dejectedly that even Fred and George looked sympathetic. 

"Oliver, this year's our year," said Fred. 

"We'll do it, Oliver!" said Angelina. 

"Definitely," said Harry. 

"Most certainly," Lily agreed. 

So they began practices again three times a week. Lily's schedule became very full. Between Quidditch practice, detention, homework, and pranking, she barely got any sleep, let alone do anything besides those things. She had taken to sleeping in Ash's oasis as it was more peaceful in her opinion, and had fresh air.

After Quidditch practice one night, Lily returned to the common room in an unusual bad mood and sprawled herself on the couch with her head in Teddy's lap. He made an amused sound and propped open his book on her head and she was too lazy to move it. The excited chatter surrounding the room only worsened Lily's mood but she did find herself wondering what they were so happy about.

"Why's everyone so happy?" She groaned. 

Teddy raised an eyebrow as he looked down at her, having moved the book. Lily was generally a very happy person, so it was unusual for her to be mad at other people for being happy.

"The first Hogsmeade weekend is on Halloween," he informed her with a smirk, "We'll be able to go without breaking the rules and we can visit Aberforth again."