14 // the devil is a gentleman

i tried my best to keep this under 3000 words, but yeah, i failed big time lol. a lot happens in this chapter and i just needed all this to happen in this chapter to get the ball rolling, yk? anyways, enjoy lovelies! :)

///

𝘈𝘯𝘢𝘺𝘢

Fuck this shit.

I should be with Alex and Jon, helping them solve Dom's murder. Not stuck at my desk processing an endless amount of paperwork.

Slamming the manila folder shut with more force than necessary, I chuck it on my desk before leaning back in my seat. Shutting my eyes, a small groan escapes my lips.

Fuck. This. Shit.

"Sweet talk your way into the investigation," Max comments.

Opening one eye, I peer at him with a small frown. He shrugs his shoulders as he sucks on a lollipop, his hands clasped behind his head as he swivels in his chair.

"Alex can't be sweet talked," I grumble.

"When it's a hermosa chica like you, anyone can be sweet talked."

I roll my eyes at his words, scoffing as I sit up in my seat and frown at the large stack of manila folders on my desk. I can hear Max's chair roll over to my desk, his black curls entering my vision as he leans his head against his hand, the lollipop hanging out the side of his lips.

"You should be there," Max says, his voice lower. I turn to look at him, chewing on my bottom lip. "Not daddy's fucking boy and his little bitch."

The corner of my mouth curves up as he gives me an innocent shrug, his eyes falling on my lips before looking away.

I follow Max's gaze and watch as a small group of agents crowd around Alex's desk. There's a large white board next to his desk, covered in various pictures and notes. Crossing my arms over my chest, I sit back in my seat as I mindlessly watch Alex scribble something on the board. Although I can barely register his words, it's clear that he's come up with some evidence from his body language.

Looking away, I slowly scan my surroundings until they land on Ryan's empty desk. My mood takes a dive when I don't see my favorite intelligence analyst hunched over his desk, furiously typing away.

"Were you able get ahold of Ryan?" I ask Max.

"No," Max sighs, turning to face me. He leans back in his seat, crossing his legs in front of him before continuing, "but I did stop by his place and invited myself in."

I raise a brow at him, silently asking him to continue.

"He's alright. Just a bit down, but he's okay." Max explains. I nod my head in relief, a deep sigh leaving my body. I haven't seen Ryan since Dom's funeral. Even though he's an agent, he isn't trained to be on the field, he isn't trained to shoot a gun, so it's understandable for him to be a bit shaken. Max on the other hand is just the opposite, but given his background, shootouts were a daily occurrence for him.

"I'm gonna stop by again tonight, you wanna come with?"

"Yeah," I reply with a smile. "It's been too long since I've seen my favorite nerd."

"Cool, we could go after you're done with work."

I nod my head, my eyes falling on Alex as I bite my bottom lip. There's no way I'm going to spend the rest of my day processing paperwork, I know I have only so much patience in me before I chuck the folders across the room. So giving Alex one last look, I turn my attention back to Max and take a bunch of folders off my desk before dropping it in his lap.