23 // mundane things

///

Good people don't need laws to tell them to act responsibly...and bad people will find a way around the laws.

Plato

///

𝘈𝘯𝘢𝘺𝘢

Dull, brown eyes stare back at me in the reflection of the elevator doors as I wait for them to open. But I have to admit, I haven't looked this put together since the day I quit my job at the FBI. I mean, it's not like I had any reason to put any effort in my appearance.

Unemployment definitely sucks.

Turning my head to the side to admire my side profile, I tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear before smoothing down my ponytail. The elevator dings right before the door opens and I quickly shuffle out to exit the small office building I'm in.

I had an interview at a P.I. firm—one of the best in Miami from what I heard—and I jumped at the opportunity to dress myself in the clothes I barely touched since my analyst days at the Bureau. It's common sense to dress up for an interview for a job at a company that's one of the best in the area, but I still can't shake the lingering embarrassment as soon as I entered the firm's office.

For a place that holds a reputation in its world, the office looked nothing like it. I might as well have stepped into your typical Hollywood interpretation of a private investigative firm. So needless to say, I was very much overdressed for the interview and I'm sure I won't be hearing back from them.

With a sigh, I open the doors to the G-Wagon Alessandro insisted I drive after my motorcycle accident and take a seat in the driver's seat. I didn't plan on actually driving this car. It's worth more than my life and I'd be crazy to drive something that my mother's boss owns. Yet here I am, sitting in the most expensive car I've ever driven—but I want to make it clear that I didn't have a choice. My motorcycle is still in the auto shop and I don't own a car, and sure, I could've taken a cab to the interview but that would've costed me an arm and a leg—something I can't afford now that I'm jobless and living off of my savings.

Putting my seat belt on, I place my foot on the brake before pressing down on the start button. The engine quietly rumbles to life, a sound that brings an insane amount of satisfaction for some unknown reason. Scrolling down the list of contacts on the touch screen dash, I stop at my Mom's contact and call her.

"Hello jaan," Ma's voice echoes throughout the car's sound system.

"Hey Ma, I just left my interview. I'll reach the resort in a bit." I inform as I come to stop at a red light.

"How was the interview? You know you can always come here and work with me. I'm sure Mr. Romano won't mind."

I roll my eyes at Ma's words. Ever since my accident, Ma has been swooning over Alessandro—also known as the knight in shining armor according to her.

Every single day since I've left his place and come to stay at my own, Ma has never failed to mention her boss and how grateful she is for his existence. It came to a point where I was tempted to tell her the truth behind him knowing where I was the time of my accident is something to run away from rather than be grateful for, but I kept my mouth shut, because again, I would be going off of a gut feeling and no concrete evidence.

"The interview was...it was good?" I reply with a frown. Truth be told, I'm not sure how the interview went. My mind is still stuck on the fact that I was severely overdressed.