3.

THREE

The next day, a beautiful blond male made his way to Heaven's Arena, looking for a certain magician. He made his way past the information desk and into the elevator before clicking on the 200th floor. The blond unlocked the apartment door with the spare key he had been given then walked into the comfortable space.

The apartment was clean and mostly empty, with no sign of any pictures and what little furniture there was, gave the place life. The blond male sat on the lone couch in the middle of the living room when his phone suddenly rang. He peered at the caller ID before answering the phone.

"Hello, Gon," he answered happily, already imagining the joyful smile on the child's face.

"Kurapika!" He exclaimed with a giggle and Leorio rushed by his side to put his ear against the phone. "How was your trip? Did you get there safely?"

Kurapika smiled gently, his gaze softening at the sound of the boy's voice. "The trip was good and I'm waiting in Hisoka's apartment, right now," he could almost hear the way Leorio complained on the other side of the phone as soon as he uttered those words. "But he has a match at the moment so it might take him a while to return."

The doctor in training knew that the last sentence was directed towards him and blushed profusely as he cleared his throat. Gon simply laughed at the reaction before returning to the call.

"Oh, yeah! You never told us the reason why you've been meeting with Hisoka," the green-haired boy said, his mood becoming serious.

Kurapika tensed up slightly at the statement and stood up from his spot on the couch, walking towards the window. "I'm sorry but I can't discuss anything until the situation has been dealt with."

"Situation? What are you talking about? What's going on?" Gon questioned frantically, Leorio frowning at his side in confusion.

"Gon, it's alright. I promise to tell you everything once I get back," he paused. "Or at least when the time is right..."

"But-"

Leorio stuck his hand out in front of the young boy's face. "Pass me the phone." The boy was hesitant before placing the phone into the taller man's palm. "Kurapika..."

The blond felt tears build up in the corner of his eyes as he heard the tall man's voice. "Hello, Leorio," he mumbled back in reply. "How are you?"

"I've been better..." the older male trailed off. "So, when are you coming back home?" When are you coming back to me?

"Home?" The word sounded weird to Kurapika. He hadn't had a home since his entire clan had been wiped out but he guessed that being with Leorio, Gon and Killua did feel like home. "I don't know... maybe when I'm done with everything here."

The unsure response made Leorio sigh and sadly stare at the floor. "Oh, okay then..."

Things haven't been the same between the two young adults ever since Kurapika left several months ago and the chain user hated every single moment of it. While Leorio just regretted every moment of their last encounter, especially since he didn't know that Kurapika would have had to leave so abruptly.

An uncomfortable silence formed between the two males, Leorio clenching his fist tightly and Gon watched on in concern. Both he and his friend Killua are aware of the state of the relationship between their older companions and tried their best to understand it, but they always wished that things weren't so complicated.

"Kurapika, I just wanted to let you know that I-" Leorio bit his lip to stop himself. He couldn't say it, not now at least. "I hope you don't get into too much trouble..."

"T-Thanks, Leorio. I hope so too," he replied. Why couldn't he have just given him that one reason to come back? "I'm sorry, I have to go. I'll call you guys when I'm not too busy. Bye."

Before Leorio could even get one last word in, Kurapika had already hung up the phone, leaving the tall male in a solemn mood.

Just as the blond slipped his phone back into his pocket, the door to Hisoka's apartment swung open and in came the magician himself. "You came earlier than expected."

"Hello, Hisoka." Kurapika greeted, turning to look at the clown who had a few bruises covering his face. "Why did you call me on such short notice?"

The redhead closed the door behind him then sat on a chair, his golden eyes gazing mischievously at his 'colleague'. "I have a task for you, my dearest chain user."

The Kurta hated the sound of those words. Usually, when Hisoka asked him to do a 'task', it was his way of asking the blond to kill somebody for him. Ever since Kurapika had teamed up with Hisoka to obtain information on the Spider Troupe, the magician had made him sign a deal that ensured the blond being a part of the House of Cards to return the favour. Though Kurapika hated every second of this agreement, he didn't have any business with the magician having the upper hand.

"Who might be the target this time?"

Hisoka watched as he crossed his arms, the chains loosely hanging from his slim fingers before sitting down. "Don't worry, you're not killing anyone this time." He smirked at Kurapika's confused expression. "I need you to investigate someone for me and bring back as much information as you can."

"You wouldn't mind me asking who this person is?" The blond inquired, placing his chained hand against his hip, the silver metal contrasting against the dark of his suit.

"Illumi Zoldyck." The mere mention of that name sent a strong fear through Kurapika's mind and Hisoka chuckled at the sight of it. "There's nothing to worry about unless your boyfriend has some type of input?"

"Leorio is not my boyfriend and whatever I do has nothing to do with him," he snapped angrily and clenched his fists. "I'll do the job, no matter what it takes."

The magician frowned in irritation, hating the way the blond was being vulnerable in front of him. "That's very promising but just so you know, this will be the last request you shall ever recieve from me."

Kurapika's gray eyes widened in shock. "But I have only completed 3 out of the 5 months that we had initially agreed on. Is there any type of catch involved, Hisoka?"

"Why, of course not. Well...at least not for now. Let's just say, your services will no longer be required." Hisoka stood up from his seat and sauntered towards the shorter male, his hips swinging seductively before leaning down and making direct eye contact. "But this doesn't mean you can leave before you work is done, understand?"

"I understand," Kurapika answered, glaring in return.

"Good." The magician stood up to his full height and turned his back on the clan member, making his way towards his bedroom. "You know your way out, don't you?"

"Yes."

"I shall call you in a few days then, Kurapika."

♣♦♣

My later tonight actually turned into the next day because this aneamic boy decided to pass out. 💀💔 This chapter only contains a look at Hisoka and his relationship with other people, so I hope you enjoy. (And the bit of Leopika I added makes it worthwhile 👁👄👁✨)

And this is a note to the readers: Please remember that Hisoka and Illumi had never met each other until the first chapter!

Until next time from Brett