35.

Nah, because when were y'all gonna remind me about how I said this book was ending after the release of chapter 25?! I'm literally 10 chapters in the future!

-

THIRTY-FIVE

Illumi didn't know what his father had said to Kikyo while they were in that room after he had left, but she had silently brought back the things she had taken. The assassin was mildly confused by how his mother also didn't make a single remark as she returned his belongings, the gesture feeling slightly meaningless.

Silva had asked for him to continue going on missions and it wasn't something that Illumi could decline as he needed a distraction while waiting for Hisoka to recover. All of the jobs he was sent on seemed to be a lot harder to handle but the reason for that might have been his lack of training over the past month.

When he was done for the day, he had decided to stop by the hospital to visit Hisoka for a while, notifying the receptionist of his arrival. Luckily, it wasn't the same woman from the other day.

Illumi walked to the magician's ward and pushed the door open, surprised by Arena who was sitting in one of the chairs while reading a book. She looked up after hearing the door creak open, her eyes lighting up.

"Illumi," she greeted with a sad smile. "How have you been?"

The assassin watched as she stood up and closed her book. "I'm okay. How are you?" He asked curtly, not feeling in the mood for any type of conversation.

Arena could sense the other's bad mood and her smile became strained. "I'm alright for the most part, just a little worried-about Hisoka that is."

"Yeah, I understand," Illumi hummed in reply, his dark eyes landing on Hisoka.

The older woman followed his gaze and sighed. "You don't have to worry about him so much if that's what's bothering you. Hisoka will make it through this. No matter what happens."

"I know that, Arena. I'm just worried about other things at the moment," he mumbled under his breath and Arena gave him a worried stare. "But I'm sure that I can sort it all out later."

"Well, I hope you do. Whatever it is."

Illumi was merely thankful that Arena didn't press on and ask any further. "Thank you," he replied with a small smile. "How long have you been here?"

"Only a couple of hours," Arena told him as she sat back down. "I can't really stay for long though because I need to take care of his side of things."

The dark-haired male (a.k.a me) had almost forgotten all about Hisoka's assassination business, nodding absently as the older woman spoke. "Has Nefro stopped by?"

She shook her head slowly, leaning it against her hand as she briefly glanced at Hisoka. "He's been busy and doesn't really have the time anymore."

Illumi nodded in understanding before Arena's phone rang and she quickly excused herself. The assassin watched as she left and sat down in a vacant chair, worriedly biting down on his nails. It had been weeks of Illumi going on multiple assassinations with Hisoka still not responding to anything during that time.

He couldn't help but think that he might not wake up.

The door opened again and Illumi looked up, noticing the deep frown between Arena's dark brows. "Is everything okay?"

"Um, yeah, it's just..." She paused to brush a hand over her freshly cropped hair. "I need to get going. Will you be alright on your own?"

The assassin nodded and Arena packed up her belongings before leaving with a smile. Illumi looked back towards Hisoka and leaned into the chair with a sigh.