Extra Chapter 29: Sword Mounting

"Hey come on, don't tell me you forgot how to balance. Keep yourself steady," Jiang Cheng keeps his hands firm on Wei WuXian's shoulder to prevent him from wobbling off Suibian.

"I know how to balance! I just...haven't done this in over twenty years or something, give me a break," Wei WuXian grumbles.

"No talking. Concentrate."

"You're sounding like Lan Zhan now. Has Zewu-jun rubbed off you too much?"

"You-!" Jiang Cheng pushes him playfully. Wei WuXian wobbles on the sword again but manages to stay on. As Jiang Cheng expects, Wei WuXian is a fast learner. In just a few minutes, he looked like someone who had been able to mount a sword for many years. Seeing his brother fly through the sky with the wind blowing his hair back, Jiang Cheng mounts his own sword to join him.

"We haven't done this since we were younger," Jiang Cheng says, his voice softening unexpectedly.

"We....did this a lot as kids. We always held races to see who would fly faster," Wei Wuxian adds.

"I'll win this time then!" Jiang Cheng flies past Wei WuXian suddenly, sticking his tongue out playfully behind him.

"Hey!" Jiang Cheng scoffs lightly at his reaction. It was at times like these when he could let go of the demeanor of a clan leader that he held in public. Lan Xichen really had rubbed off him. But not in the way Wei WuXian thought.

He felt as if he could be more honest with the people around him now. Sometimes it was still difficult to let out every single detail. But he could do it. It was a step.

"Look at meeee," Wei WuXian shouts in delight as he zigzags in the air and even does a few twirls in the sky.

"Stop messing around. You're going to fall off," Jiang Cheng says in exasperation.

"No, I won't-whoa!" Jiang Cheng turns back at the shout of alarm from Wei WuXian.

"You might want to turn to the left-," Jiang Cheng begins, but unfortunately it was too late and Wei WuXian had ungracefully crashed himself into a tree. The sword falls to the ground. Jiang Cheng holds back his laughter and hurries to check to see if he was alright.

"Ugh, this is embarrassing...," Wei WuXian huffs as he scrambles down from the tree. Leaves cover his clothes and there are scratches all over his hands.

"What was I just saying before you crashed? It was your own fault!"

"Yeah yeah," Wei WuXian picks up his sword and puts it back into its sheath. "It's not about my balancing skills, I think Suibian is being mischievous. I swear, ever since we got back from the Spirit Realm and we found out our spiritual swords basically have their own conscience, carrying a sword feels way different."

"It does feel different...it's almost like there's someone else with us whenever we fight."

"They're a part of us, but separate at the same time," Wei WuXian tucks his sword under his arm and goes over by the lake to wash the cuts and dirt from his hands.

"Let's go back. Tomorrow, we'll have a real race. Like what they're doing," Wei WuXian indicates at the water with his hand. Jin Ling, Jingyi,Zizhen and Sizhui were flying with their swords inches away from the water, having their own race. Jiang Cheng gets startled by the sight.

"A-Ling, don't you fall down or I'm not swimming to rescue you!" Jiang Cheng yells.

"I can swim fine!" Jin Ling shouts back.

"Honestly....he's supposed to be acting like a clan leader. What happened to giving off a good impression?" Jiang Cheng says impatiently.

"Let him have his fun. You, on the other hand, became too rigid when you became clan leader. Let me show you how to have some fun!" Wei WuXian says playfully.

"Oh please. Who says I've forgotten? I'm simply too busy for sucb matters!"

"Don't be like that. You still have time to meet up with Zewu-jun, don't you?"

"For political matters," Jiang Cheng says defensively, though his ears were turning red.

"And besides! You don't always have time for fun either. You're the chief cultivator's husband. You have responsibilities at GuSu now!"

"Yes, I do," Wei WuXian sighs. "But Lan Zhan is there and I want to help him. But either way, I'll never be too busy to see my brother. We can have all the fun we want at Lotus Pier."

"Sure, sure," Jiang Cheng huffs back. His tone is annoyed, but his face is warm.

Lotus Pier felt almost as lively as it had been when Jiang Cheng and Wei WuXian were younger and playing with the younger disciples. Now, there was Jingyi, Sizhui, Jin Ling and Zizhen running around Lotus Pier, making it their playground. Perhaps, Wei WuXian would be able to do that with Jiang Cheng again as well, flying on their swords with the wind blowing back their hair.