Chapter 4: Cloud Recesses

The next morning, Lan WangJi gets up first as usual and starts tidying up the room. When he came back from getting food downstairs, Wei WuXian was already awake and sitting at the table, pouring two cups of tea out. Lan WangJi sets down the food and sits down as well.

"Wei Ying...last night," Lan WangJi began, then he stopped.

"Lan Zhan. I know what you're thinking," Wei WuXian says softly. "You must think I don't remember what happened last night." Silence.

"I do remember. I remember everything. I wasn't...really drunk, at least not super drunk. I j-just...didn't know how else to tell you otherwise," Wei WuXian suddenly looks embarrassed, brushing his nose with his index finger.

"...."

"I wasn't brave enough to tell you properly and last night I was finally able to say all of it-," He breaks off as Lan WangJi kisses him hard, almost pushing him against the back of the wall. Wei WuXian doesn't resist and presses his lips and tongues deeper in intil they were intertwined.

"Wait." Wei WuXian suddenly says, pulling back.

"What?" Lan WangJi looks at him

"When did you first start liking me?" Lan WangJi gave him a blank look, though his lips were curving upwards.

"Eat first. Talk later." Lan WangJi picks up one of the bowls of rice out of the tray and places it in front of Wei WuXian. Lan WangJi reaches for one of the chopsticks, but Wei WuXian grabs both pairs and gives him an annoyed look.

"You always like avoiding questions. Not this time. Tell me." Wei WuXian's face was a combination of "puppy eyes" and a pouty face. Lan WangJi sighs. He had liked Wei Ying since he was a teenager,yet only now Wei Ying was realizing his feelings....unless Wei Ying kept quiet about it.

"Think of it yourself," was his response. Before Wei WuXian could protest, he picked up some rice with his chopsticks and fed it to him.

"Hey, Lan Zhaaaan. Come on!"
"No talking while eating." Wei WuXian gives an exasperated sigh and hurriedly finishes his food. He then tries to think back to when Lan Zhan might have started liking him, however his thoughts drifted off. That kiss...feels almost like deja vu. He did not feel it last night, but after being pushed up against the wall and feeling their tongues intertwine, he felt it.

"Phoenix mountain," Wei WuXian begins. His eyes then light up. Although Lan WangJi did not answer, he heard the slight intake of breath and saw the subtle tense of his muscles.

"That was you? It was, wasn't it?"

"...."

"Oh Lan Zhan, who would have thought you would have been quite bold back then? Kissing me while blindfolded." Wei WuXian teased. He never would have thought someone as rigid and prestigious as Lan Zhan would have liked him back then. Especially when he had constantly bothered him with his mischievous and unruly behavior in Cloud Recesses. Lan Wangji had also been agitated when he found out he had started using crafty tricks. He had tried convincing him to go back to Gusu with him, but he had refused, thinking that Lan Wangji wanted to bring him back to punish him. Everyone thought they were enemies, but they had been wrong. Wei WuXian had also been wrong. Lan Wangji had wanted to protect him from the rest of the clans, even then, even if his uncle disapproved, he would have done it anyway and accepted the consequences.

"Let's be cultivation partners." Wei WuXian declares. " Stay together for the rest of our lives." Wei WuXian says, stroking Lan WangJi's cheeks. "Though your uncle...," He is silenced with another kiss. However, before they could go any further into it, there was a knock at the door. Lan WangJi instantly pulls away and stands up. Wei WuXian stands up after him.