Chapter 11:Calling of the Spirits

"Jiang Cheng, what's up?" Wei WuXian walks over to his shidi, who is standing near the watchup balconies next to the stairs.

"Are you sure you're up for the night-hunt?" Wei WuXian is taken aback by the question.

"What do you mean?"

"Well...Zewu-jun told me about what happened with ChenQing..and well. I know the night-hunts we've been going on have helped to strengthen your core but is it enough?" Wei WuXian could hear the slight hint of concern and anxiety in his voice. Had he...been inviting me on those night-hunts just to help me with my golden core?

"It is enough. I can feel it," Wei WuXian tells him a reassuring voice, while feeling slightly warm inside that his brother was beginning to slowly show his care for him again.

"When I was with Baoshan Sanren, she helped me tremendously. Though the meditation exercises we practiced were far more difficult than the ones I do with Lan Zhan." Wei WuXian laughs nervously, reaching up to brush a finger against his nose.

"Well of course...she's practically ancient. How come you didn't ask her to just..you know, make you a golden core?" Wei WuXian laughs.

"She may be ancient but she's not that capable. The things we've heard about her were mostly only rumors. Our golden core belongs to ourselves and no one else. There's really nothing she can do except help me build it stronger."

"Is the 'golden core transfer' thing true....or was that simply a bluff?" Jiang Cheng huffs.

"Well...no one else has ever been willing to give up their golden core before so I don't know for sure." Wei WuXian shrugs. "Anyways, you have nothing to worry about. I have Lan Zhan to protect me too. And we'll have Clan Leader Ouyang and his disciples with us as well and I'm sure Zewu-jun would come along as well." Wei WuXian nudges Jiang Cheng with an elbow.

"I'm sure Clan Leader Lan is busy with catching up with clan affairs after being in seclusion." Jiang Cheng replies, ignoring the heat creeping up his face. "Why not invite Clan Leader Nie?" Wei WuXian blinks.

"Mmm...well, I'm not sure if he will be much help on a night-hunt."
"You're not still underestimating him aren't you?" Wei WuXian is taken aback by the question.

"No...of course not. Well, maybe we could use his brain in the group. It has been a while...hasn't it?"
"A while since what?"
"Since the three of us have been together."

There was silence, but Wei WuXian knew what they were both thinking of.

The three of them sitting at the table of the living quarters for guest disciples at Cloud Recesses.

Each of them holding a cup of wine while peanut shells were scattered across the table.

"Beauty, natural beauty." Wei WuXian laughs. Jiang Cheng jumps to his feet, his finger pointing accusingly.

"Wei WuXian!"

"Virtuous and caring, comes from a good family." Wei WuXian is running now, with Jiang Cheng hot on his heels.

"She Should not be too chatty."

"Stop it right there!"

"And should have a gentle voice but not too capable."

"Wei WuXian! Stop running!" Wei WuXian ducks behind Huiasang who tries blocking Jiang Cheng.

"She should not burn through money."

"We were just teenagers messing around back then. How can we possibly go back to those times?" Jiang Cheng sighs.

"You're right. After all, everything has changed. I guess instead of fooling around, we have to be the ones to stop the kids from doing the same thing we did. Jin Ling, Sizhui, Jingyi and Zizhen."