Chapter 38: Just Hold On

Start from the beginning

The conversation was making less and less sense. Lifting her bound hands to rub her aching temple, Angel tried to understand her cousin's twisted worldview. "I didn't take your parents, Joan. Mine passed away, and you and your family moved in so I wouldn't be alone. You can hardly claim that Aunt Christine and Uncle George cared much for me. Their attention was still fully on you."

"But they were wholly mine before then." Joan crossed her arms over her chest, her blue eyes burning with intense emotion. "My earliest memories is having to share my parents with a whiny child who never spoke. Who cried any time she was left alone in a room. They had to be with you at all times while I was left on my own."

"I..." Angel frowned, remembering what James had told her about the period after their parents passed away. "I don't remember those days," she admitted. "But you must understand, I didn't do any of those things to take your parents from you. It wasn't out of spite. I was traumatised after losing my parents in an accident."

Joan only scoffed.

"I'm sorry," Angel said, feeling sad for the child Joan had once been. It must have been a big change for her as well, moving from their more humble cottage in the Midlands to Hefferton Place, and seeing her parents suddenly taking care of another child. A child who could not be left alone. "It must have been difficult for you, but I never intended to take your parents from you."

For a moment, Joan's countenance softened and hope sprung in Angel's chest, only to be swiftly dashed when Joan's eyes hardened again. "But you do not deny taking the marquess?"

"Nathaniel is my husband, but I did not take him from you." Angel shook her head. "He was never yours."

"He would have been," Joan insisted.

It was time to change the subject. They were getting nowhere. Angel looked over at Philip, who remained quiet, brewing in his own resentment and ill will.

"What brought the two of your together?" she asked.

"We understand each other," Joan replied. "We have the same priorities in life."

Why wouldn't Philip speak? He hadn't uttered a word since he burst in through her window and aimed a gun at her. Having been getting ready for bed, she was still wearing nothing but her white nightgown, and the chill of the evening was seeping into her bones in the drafty carriage. Philip had told her that if she screamed, he'd shoot anyone who entered the room, so she'd gone with him to keep everyone safe.

Had anyone noticed she was gone? It wasn't long since they left the house, but it had been late and everyone had retired for the night. It was how Philip had so easily walked her through the house and out the front door. Once outside, he'd tugged her along through the garden and past the old stone wall to where the carriage waited. Most likely, no one would notice her disappearance until the morning when she didn't come down for breakfast.

With her heart sinking, she looked out the window. They were going quite fast, judging by the speed at which the trees and landscape swept past in the darkness. A sliver of fear travelled down her spine as she remembered another time in her life when she'd been travelling in a carriage after dark. Needing a distraction, she turned back to her captors.

"What are you planning to do with me?"

"Philip left a note behind. If your dear husband doesn't pay us a hefty price for your safe return, he will never see you again."

"What happens if he doesn't pay?"

A smirk contorted Joan's normally pretty face. "I almost hope he doesn't."

The fear was now less of a niggle and more of a biting, snapping beast threatening to engulf her. Angel's bound hands gripped the fabric of her nightgown and held on as if it would somehow anchor her in the storm. Through her misery, she could hear Joan continue to ramble on, apparently needing to gloat and prove how ingenious their plan was.