Chapter 10: Almost, Not Quite

Dear Diary,
Balls aren't so bad after all. Who would have
thought? I should, however, remember to stay off
moonlit balconies. They're bad for my composure.

Angel flicked her ivory fan open and used it to cool her flushed face. Had Nathaniel been about to kiss her? For a moment, she had thought he was, and when he didn't, there had been an undeniable stab of disappointment. She must have misread the situation. Nathaniel Howerty—one of the season's most eligible bachelors—would not want to kiss her. Would he? Even if he did, she didn't want him to. Did she? Her cheeks burned hotly when she realised that she most definitely did. Which was odd, since she knew from experience that she didn't enjoy kissing. Philip had kissed her a handful of times, and she had not appreciated it in the least. To the point where she had avoided his kisses ever since.

Moving further into the ballroom, she caught sight of her cousin chatting with two gentlemen. Joan had been a great success that evening and had danced with several suitable gentlemen. Noticing her attention, Joan's eyes narrowed. Extracting herself from her admirers, she came up to block Angel's path.

"Where have you been?" she asked. Had she seen her on the terrace with Nathaniel?

"I was getting some fresh air."

"Alone?"

"Yes," she lied, praying that she wouldn't blush. Remembering how close Nathaniel had been as he leaned in set off a fluttering of butterflies inside her, and she didn't want her cousin to have any reason to suspect anything. Joan had a nose for sniffing out anything Angel enjoyed and always found a way to destroy it. When James had brought her a kitten once, Joan had suddenly developed allergies, despite having had a cat herself in the past.

"Is no one else on the terrace?"

"There have been others coming and going. It's hot in here and I imagine everyone needs a reprieve." Angel forced a smile and lifted one shoulder in a shrug. "I didn't speak to anyone. You know I prefer to be alone."

Joan smiled, but there was no warmth in her eyes. "That's true. You've never been a skilled conversationalist."

Angel's smile wavered slightly at the thinly veiled barb and her fingers tightened around the handle of the fan.

Noticing her reaction, her cousin's smile widened. "I'm surprised you've been as popular as you've been tonight. I suppose they will soon realise you're a quiet mouse who can't hold their interest."

The words struck true. Joan knew exactly what to say for the biggest impact. She was well aware of Angel's insecurities and how concerned she was about her shyness. Looking to the side, Angel caught Jessica looking at her. Seeing her friend's face filled her with strength, and she raised her chin and met Joan's gloating eyes.

"Surely you wish to return to your adoring crowd, so perhaps you could refrain from insulting me and leave?"

Joan's blue eyes narrowed. She did not appreciate Angel talking back. "I hope you realise none of these gentlemen are interested in you," she spat. "They are probably only hanging around you to get to your friend. She's the popular one."

"Perhaps," Angel allowed. "If that's the case, I do not mind. I'm meant to marry Philip, aren't I?"

"Yes. He's the only one who will have you. As bound by his parents' promise as you are by yours." Joan pushed an errant lock of dark hair behind her ear. "You should be grateful Mother agreed to carry out your parents' wish, or you would have ended up a spinster."

Content that she had knocked Angel down enough pegs, she left. Angel stared down at her slipper-clad feet as a hollow feeling spread through her chest. It was easy to give in to the whispers of her inadequacy. She had heard them for years. Swallowing back the knot in her throat, she looked up as she heard movement next to her.