Miles~01~

🌲

He said looks are everything in this world. 

More than money. More than fame.

He said looks would take you everywhere and nowhere. If you have good looks, then life will be easy for you. Everyone will welcome you into their home, because of how you look. No questions asked.

Even when you have nothing to offer.

And he was right.

As I sit here on this flight to LA, everyone is giving me side glances. And some stare at me shamelessly without blinking.

I know what you are thinking, and you are wrong. It is not because I got good looks. Nope. Nada. It is far from that.

It's the opposite.

Right now, I wish he never said that. I wish I never listened to him back then. Because now I can't help feeling self-conscious.

Maybe if I didn't look the way I did before, I could be content with how I look now.

But we know damn well I can't blame him. He was on top of the world. He could say anything and people would agree.

I would agree.

Because

He. Was. Me.

I said those words, and now? Now they are hunting me in bright daylight. Here as I listen a boy asks his mother about me.

“Mom, mom, look at his face.” The boy said

“Shhh! son, you can’t say that to people.” A male voice replied.

Voices and whispers between a child and who was supposed to be his father were heard beside me.

I didn’t open my eyes to look at them but rather lifted my mask nicely and lowered the cap to hide more of my face.

“How did he get in here? Did he steal a ticket from someone?” A woman spoke this time.

A deadbeat silence followed. It took over a few minutes before I heard another voice speak.

“Yes madam?”

“Can you check his ticket please?” The same female voice spoke again.

I stayed silent. listening.

“Am sorry madam I can’t do that.” A soft voice replied, very calmly.

Shaking my head slowly, I minded my business.

“Well he seems off and I am pretty sure he stole the ticket. I mean he can't afford first-class, especially at this airline. Look at him..he is probably a thief.” she said.  Loudly enough this time, getting the attention of the rest of the passengers.

A heavy knot stuck in my throat as I listened to what was going on around me. My breathing lowered as my blood boiled inside my veins. I waited to see what will happen next.

Praying to God that no one touches me or asks me anything.

“Jane would please behave. Stop this now!” A man's voice spoke and I remember it correctly. He was the same man who silent his son.