Chapter 22

Groff's POV
After the whole dog situation was settled, I went back into our bedroom while Lin gave the dog food and water. I picked up my phone and went into the contacts. I pressed the one titled "Mom" and just stared at the screen. My leg started shaking and my anxiety suddenly started to get to me. I turned off my phone and laid back on the bed while my feet were still on the ground. I covered my face and tried to calm down, but I just couldn't. I needed Lin to be here for it anyway.

Lin finally walked into the room and ran over to me "Jon? Are you ok?"

I shook my head no as all these thoughts of my mother never loving me as she used to rushed through my head. What if my dad walked in while I was talking to her? What if he still hated me?

Lin was incredibly worried, and though I couldn't see his face, I just sensed it from him. "Groff listen to me-"

"I'm sorry..." I said trying not to choke on my own words.

"About what? You didn't do anything."

"I'm making you worry about me even though you shouldn't be, so I'm sorry."

"No Groff don't be sorry about that. It's ok. Just breathe. It's going to be fine." He grabbed my knee that was shaking and started to try and calm me down with his words.

I tried to get my breathing back on my own, but it hurt to even try. Lin put his hand on my neck and started rubbing circles with his thumb, which calmed me down and made it easier to breathe.

"You ok now?" Lin asked as I started to breathe normally.

"Yeah, I hope so." I got my phone and unlocked it. Right where I left it was my mom's contact name. My heart started to race again, but Lin was rubbing my back so I could stay calm so it wasn't as bad as before.

"You can do it Jon, I know you can" Lin said trying to encourage me to do it.

I pressed the call button without thinking and dropped my phone on the floor. I picked it back up and anxiously waited for my mom to pick up.

On the other line I heard a "Hello?"

"Hey mom it's me. It's Jonathan" I said trying so hard not to let my anxiety get into my voice.

"Jonathan? Is it really you? Oh my god" she said as she cried from surprise. "I've been calling you since you've left and it always just goes straight to voicemail! I thought you were dead or just something bad happened to you."

I had completely forgotten that I blocked both of their numbers when I left. "Mom I miss you and I miss Dad even though he hates me. I even miss David which is surprising even for me!"

"Jonathan, your dad doesn't hate you in anyway. He just doesn't understand. He loves you and he misses you too. With David is the same way. Please come back, even if it's for a week or two I want to see you."

"Mom I would love to, but I have to tell you something else that you'd be surprised to hear."

"Ok then go on and tell me."

"Brace yourself.... I have a boyfriend and I live with him and our son, Sebastian." Probably wasn't a good idea to tell her about Sebastian, but the words just came out.

"You have a son? Is he adopted? Or was it through surrogate? Jonathan what the hell! You aren't even married!"

"I know, but it's his son from a past marriage. I've kind of just adopted him as my son too. He calls me dad and everything. I love him so much, Mom." I was trying not to cry and let her freak out on the phone.