Chapter 71

Meanwhile, back at the compound, Katherine had woken up. Her neck had healed from being snapped but it seemed that the wound left from Nik's teeth was killing her faster than it should've been. Her neck throbbed as her vision remained fuzzy. Her ears were ringing with Nik's voice as his image flickered in front of her as the venom made her hallucinate.

"Katerina. Katerina, the venom will make it difficult for you to focus, but you must pull yourself together," Nik had said to her. "Pull yourself together and reach into your jacket."

Katherine felt as if her whole body was lead. She could barely move as she bent her arm to reach into the tiniest pocket in her jacket and she pulled out a single vial full of red liquid. And her eyes were closed as her fingers fumbled for the stopper and she brought the vial to her lips.

It felt as if she was waking up from a deep and heavy sleep as Nik's blood coursed through her, counteracting the effects of his venom. As her mind cleared and her pain subsided, Nik's voice became clearer as she recalled what he had instructed her to do when he'd invaded her mind earlier. Katherine sat up bolt right as she checked her watch, confirming that she'd been passed out for several hours as she rushed over to Elijah.

She took a deep breath before she forced her hand inside his chest and his entire body jerked as his eyes shot open, seeming to burst out of their sockets as her hand closed around the hilt of Papa Tunde's blade and she pulled it out of his chest and he gasped awake.

"Elijah?! Elijah! It's me! It's ok! I need you to listen to me!" she ordered as she tossed the knife to the sided and held his face, both of them not really caring about the blood that covered her right hand. "Elijah, listen! Your plan was wrong. It was never going to work."

"What are you -"

"Shut up and listen! The plan was always going to fail because we had the wrong ingredients to kill Dahlia. Freya was never the person she loved most."

"How do you -"

"Nik got into my head. He told me. This was revenge, yes, but it was also a trick. All of it was a trick."

"You have lost your mind. He has lost his mind!" Elijah panted.

"They needed her trust! Not just to save Hope but to save all of us. Dahlia wouldn't have let us live because she knew we would always find them."

"To what possible end?"

"He and Isa wanted to buy us time. He told me her secret. I know how we can kill Dahlia. Once and for all."

"But -"

"No!" Katherine shouted as she pointed a bloody finger at him. "There will be no buts, no protests, and no suggestions out of you. Your plan failed. Now we're going to go with Nik and Isa's plan to save their daughter as we always should have. Now you are going to listen to me or I will put that blade back in your chest."

"She's right. It was a trick," came Marcel's voice as he walked into the courtyard with Rebekah, the real Rebekah. Marcel then explained how Nik had appeared in his house and compelled him. He'd explained what Marcel had to do to sell his plan.

"Nice to know she bought your pain," came a voice and they all turned to where Nik strode into the compound with Freya behind him, the blonde witch holding Hope because Nik knew how his brother would react.

Elijah ran at Nik and he pushed him into the wall. "What twisted game are you playing?" Elijah asked darkly before Nik reversed their positions.

"The winning one," he snarled. "I had to make my betrayal look convincing. It was the only way I could find the family the family that you sold out from under me."