Chapter 51

Nik's entire body was tense as he sat at the head of the table. His hand was clasped with his wife's who sat on his right. Elijah was standing and had yet to sit as a glass of wine was poured for Finn.

"What an aromatic Bordeaux," he said as he lifted the rim near his nose.

Nik sipped from his own wine glass. "Well, it was a trouble to find a good pairing. What wine goes well with treachery?" he asked sarcastically as Finn took a seat three chairs down from Isa.

"Don't pout, brother. Tonight is supposed to be a happy occasion," Finn said as he whispered something to the wait staff.

"What exactly are we celebrating?" Elijah asked taking a seat next to Isa, wanting to put something between her and Finn.

"Well, my return of course," Finn said as it was supposed to be obvious. "Remember, I spent, 900 years, right? Lying daggered in a box," he said venomously. "I'm rather enjoying this new body. Strolling about your lovely city that you've made your home." His head turned sharply as he turned his body to face them better. "Do tell me, what did I miss? Regale me, with your contributions to society. Medicine, philosophy, art. Or have you three merely cut a path of destruction across time."

"Don't act all high and mighty, Finn," Isa drawled. "You lay in a box for over 900 years because you would rather see all of us dead than alive for all time. And then when you were finally returned to life and reunited with your lover, you were stupid enough to get killed. And we were stupid enough to mourn you, for all you did was help take my baby away from me."

"We do not have to defend ourselves to the likes of you, but let us not forget, the last time we met, you were helping our mother trying to annihilate the lot of us. Let's not throw stones in glass houses," Nik continued, just as angry with his brother as his wife was.

"Are we expecting other guests?" Elijah asked as the waiters set up two more plates, one opposite Nik at the head of the table and another to the left of that chair.

"Mother will sit at the head of the table," Finn explained before he gestured to the seat across from him. "And as for the seat across from me, that's reserved for another of our clan. Care to wager an educated guess?" he taunted, and Isa smacked Nik's shoulder.

"I told you she'd bring back Finn and Kol," she said annoyed but satisfied she had won another bet.

"How could you know? There's no way Kol listens to anything other than his ego," Nik retaliated.

"And yet our mother has made such a compelling argument that even he, the wildest of the Mikaelsons has seen the error of his ways and has accepted his new form with vigour."

Isa scoffed. "Please. A compelling argument, my arse. Mikael was the one who had a way with words when he didn't bother using his fists. Esther's words were always laced with poison. The only way she can keep Kol in line is by threatening to kill him again because there is no way in hell he'd pass up an opportunity to be returned to life."

Finn's eyes darkened, clearly annoyed by Isa's words that rang true as he said, "We have much to discuss."

*****************************************************************

This dull evening was still far from drawing to an end as all of them remained at the dining table, Kol and Esther still absent.

"I'm rather enjoying my evening," Finn remarked as Nik let out a frustrated sound.

"Well, I'd rather enjoy you getting to the point."

"I had 900 years to learn to be patient. Although, I am curious why you kept me daggered in a box for so long," Finn questioned and Isa was the one to scoff this time.