Chapter 46

(A/N: This chapter references a tattoo that Joseph Morgan has in real life. It's a feather on his shoulder that fades into several birds that fly across his collarbone.)

*****************************************************************

When Elijah, Marcel, and Katherine ran through the broken doors of St. Anne's church they were horrified at the sight that rested before them. Isa's blood and the sheets still stained with her amniotic fluid were still discarded atop the altar. Nik was sitting on the very steps Isa had been held against as he held her burnt body in his arms. He'd thrown the white oak stake to the floor as he cried over his wife's burnt body.

"No. No. No. No. No," Marcel muttered as he crashed onto the steps tears streaming down his face as his hand touched the charred flesh of his mother's face, the feeling of his ring on his finger disgusting him. Elijah fell to his knees. Katherine was still standing in the aisle with a hand over her mouth and tears in her eyes, unable to move.

"How did they get the white oak?!" Nik screeched. "How did they-" his voice broke. He couldn't finish the sentence as he looked down at Isa's face. "How did this happen?" he whispered before he looked up at Elijah and Marcel, noting the bite wounds on both their necks. He offered his wrist to both of them. He wouldn't have any more of his family dying tonight. But his eyes still watered as they fed, because they never left his wife's face. Her burned, charred, desiccated face. Her horrifically beautiful face because even in death she was still incandescently beautiful. "I promised I wouldn't let you do this alone. Why didn't you promise me the same?" he wailed. "I can't do this without you. I don't know how. You have to come back," he begged but Isa still didn't move.

In over a thousand years, Elijah had never seen his brother so broken. But they still had more problems to worry about. "Niklaus. What of the child?"

His brother's watery blue eyes widened. "They took her. The sacrifice is prepared for morning when the moon sets. There's time," he said looking up at the window where night was beginning to fade.

"Go. We'll stay with her," Marcel said before Nik reluctantly placed Isa's head into Marcel's lap, and the brothers set off to go and save Nik's child. Nik was still in shambles but his daughter was the last piece of his wife, and he would not lose her too.

Marcel had called Thierry and got him to take a flask of Nik's blood before he left to go and heal the vampires on their side. But now, while he cried over his mother, Katherine was thinking, calculating.

"The white oak stake is the last thing they would ever let anybody get their hands on, hell, I don't even know where it is. So how did witch bitch get it?" she wondered aloud when her eyes landed on the stake itself where Nik had thrown it across the room.

"What does it matter? My mother is already dead!" Marcel yelled and Katherine picked up the stake, examining it. There was just something off about it. She couldn't quite put her nose on it.

"This silver stuff," Katherine called. "Esther spelled it so this one stake could kill the five remaining Originals after Finn died, right?"

"Would you shut up so I can mourn my mother in peace?!" Marcel snapped before Katherine let her intrusive thoughts win. On impulse, she pricked the tip of her finger with the stake. That stake was supposed to be riddled with dark magic enough to kill several Originals, and yet, it still felt like a normal stake. So, following her gut, she tried to break the stake over her leg at the piece of wood was snapped clean in half. And as she did, the illusion spell that was cast on the stake broke.

"Oh my god," she gasped as she tossed the pieces down and went running over to Isa as she bit into her wrist and held it to her dead lips. "Come on. Drink. Come on!" she urged.