Chapter 32

*****************************************************************
An island off the coast of Nova Scotia
*****************************************************************
Elena felt like she'd been running in circles as she wandered through the labyrinth-like tunnels that supposedly led to the underground cavern where Silas, the first immortal being was supposed to be buried with a cure for immortality. The clattering of rocks falling made her flinch in the darkness. "Stefan?" she called as her voice echoed off the cavern walls. She received no reply so she continued forward before she definitely heard footsteps. "Hello?!"

"Elena," a voice whispered and she whirled, taking a few steps to where she thought it emanated from only for the sound of footsteps to come from behind her. And Elena's face fell at the sight of who stood before her.

"No," she snarled through gritted teeth before she was tackled to the ground, and her neck was snapped, blood dripping from the spot where her head had been smashed into the floor.

"Mind if I borrow that jacket?" Elena's attacker asked as she began unzipping it. "You're lucky Isa wants you alive. But when she's through with you, you're gonna wish you were dead." And she sped off into the tunnels.

******************************************************************

It was an ancient stone altar that Silas' desiccated body was tied down to, a small metal box that appeared just as old, gripped in his hands, his face covered by an iron mask as Jeremy and Bonnie entered the cavern. A tomb was a more accurate description.

"Is this it? This is the cure?! How is that supposed to cure every vampire in the world?" Jeremy exclaimed, voice full of anger.

"I don't think it is, Jer," Bonnie replied as the boy tried to pull the box from Silas' grip, but it wouldn't budge, even with his enhanced strength as a Hunter.

"It's stuck," Jeremy realised. "Help me move it."

And Bonnie came up to his side as they pulled together but it made no difference. "It's like fossilised in place," Bonnie grunted. "It's like trying to bend stone." And then it clicked. Then it all made sense as she backed away. "Oh my god," she gasped.

"What?" Jeremy asked. "What Bonnie?" he pressed when she said nothing for a time, simply taking more steps away from the altar.

"He's been frozen like a vampire statue for 2000 years. There's only one way to get the statue to unfreeze."

"How's that?"

"We have to feed him our blood," she announced and Jeremy turned to her. "If we want to get the cure out of his hands we... we have to wake him up."

Jeremy grew enraged as he picked up a hunk of rock and started beating on Silas' hand, trying to break it free, but all it did was make his own knuckles bloody.

"There must be a way to do it without raising him," Bonnie insisted as Jeremy whaled on the statue. "We'll find a way." Suddenly Bonnie gasped in pain as a knife was stabbed into her side and she fell to the ground, Jeremy finally relenting in his actions when he heard the sound.

"Don't listen to the witch, boy," said Galen Vaughn, another vampire hunter from the Brotherhood of the Five as he addressed Jeremy. "We have to raise Silas. And we have to do it now."

"Bonnie!" Jeremy cried as he ran over to the fallen girl who was shaking in agony. "What are you doing?" he asked as he stood, watching as Vaughn cut into his palm.

"What you should've done already. I'm gonna raise Silas," he said as he let his blood drop over the mouth hole in the iron mask. "Then I'm gonna kill him."

And Jeremy lunged at Vaughn as he shoved him away from Silas. Which, in retrospect, was a bad idea.

It started off that way as the two men tussled and Vaughn ended up with an arm around Jeremy's neck as he held his knife to his face and said, "You're a mite confused, Mr Gilbert. We're on the same team."