after hours; too late for your love (part two)

"I tell myself I should get over you, I know I'd rather be all over you"

Lisa

I step from the old beauty parlor into the street. Only a few years back I would have been bathed in the gentle glow of the street-lamps, now there is only darkness.

At first, it scared me, but over time it became the new normal. From the end of the street comes a light, a torch perhaps. I stop faster than a bullet into steel, heart pounding.

Funny. Once the darkness of the night is complete there is nothing more terrifying than light. I paste my body to the cold dark wind.

I stare at the gates that held a hopeful smile. And if I am to be described; I would certainly be a fool.

A fool that is chasing after a woman who was with someone else.

She is with him.

Another night. Another drink.

Another day where I'm wasted in the middle of nowhere, trying to reach someone who was happier without me.

My long legs cross the street and I stand tall, in front of the gates, screaming her name; "Jennie!".

"J-Jennie open these damn gates".

A man in a black suit stands behind the gates and looks at me. "Ma'am, can I help you?".

"Get me, Jennie.. I need to see her".

"Who are you?".

I threw my head back in laughter because it hit me hard. Who am I to her?

"H-her friend..". My voice cracks.

"What's your name?".

"Lisa". I answered and watched him nod and walk away. I abruptly placed my head on the gate and felt my heart clenching at the thought of her being inside there with him.

The night was still young, but not my soul. Mine was flying yet seeking to be set free, from a love.

A love story that that was far from perfect.

It was very toxic. To the point of arguments, unsettling tension.

Jennie and I never agreed on anything in the first place.

She hated the way I was around so many women, and I hated the fact that she was friendly with every man around her. It was very unbalanced and unfair to us.

"Ma'am?".

I raised my head and watched him walk closer with a shrug; "She doesn't want to see you".

"Oh..".

With that, I give him such a sad smile and walk to the sidewalk. My bloodstream was rushing the blood that rapidly ran in circles around my heart.