The Protector

"Hey Griffin, what're you doing?" Kane said, taking a seat next to the new chancellor. He'd passed quite a few times by this spot today and she was simple sitting there, watching. Eventually he got curious and sat down next to her. She never answered, just nodded to a point ahead. She was watching Clarke making her rounds around camp, checking up on all the kids that had just gotten back from the hunting party. 

"So I'll ask again, why have you been sitting here all day watching Clarke? I know she doesn't like you very much right now but resorting to almost stalkerisch tendecies..." Kane smirked, knowing she'd rise to the occasion. Abby didn't disappoint. Even though they got along a whole lot better since they landed, Kane still knew exactly which buttons to press. Abby huffed, "Alright, she won't talk to me if it's not about her kids but stalking? Really Marcus? She's not that hard to find you know, just hard to approach with that guard dog of hers." The last sentence was barely audible, still Marcus caught it.

"Guard dog? What do you mean? I believe you said she refused protection?" "Yes from me maybe, but clearly not from him." Former chancellor Kane had no idea what she meant so he turned back to Clarke. Now he caught it too. At first glance she was making her way across the clearing by herself but a little way behind her was a suspiciously nonchalant Miller. When Miller was called away by one of the guards, his place was taken by Monty and Jasper. And so it went on for a while. At all times, Clarke was shadowed by one of the hundred, even Raven and Murphy took a turn. 

The blonde was quite aware of the attention she was recieving. She stuck her tongue out at the 'twins' as the entire camp had dubbed them and took a walk with Raven. But it all ceased when Bellamy showed up. His shift at the wall had came to its end and he took his place at Clarke's shoulder. For the rest of the night he stuck to her side. And she to his. When one of them was called, they both looked up without a thought. One of the two was addressed, both of them gave their full attention.

The camp Jaha residents didn't always appreciated it. Kane saw one of the few young girls appraoch Bellamy, probably to flirt relentelessly with him. But Clarke refused to leave, no matter how many subtle hints the brunette dropped. When the temptress lost her patience and snapped at the oblivious blonde, Bellamy came to her defence and chewed the girl out. Harper removed her from the scene. Clearly the dopship inhabtants knew better then to interfere. 

"So you see? When he's not here, he sends Miller to look after her. When Miller's gone, someone else takes over. And she doesn't even seem to mind! Worst part is, they don't even have an agreement on whose turn it is. It comes natural to them, to protect her." Both pride and sadness shone in her eyes and voice. Because she couldn't even protect her own daughter, because her child already was protected. "He takes better care of her then I can, how frustrating is that?" The eldest Griffin threw her hands in the air, attracting a few looks. "Be glad that he is. From what I've seen of this world,  you can thank your lucky stars they do so."

After that Kane left, knowing Abby would need a moment to let his words take full effect. The subject was never touched upon again. Though he sometimes caught her staring after her daughter, forever protected by the older man by her shoulder. It was both of their jobs to keep their kids safe, but it was Bellamy's selfproclaimed duty to keep their healer safe. Forever her Protector.