Family

Abby understood that Clarke had to grow up faster then anyone thought in order to survive the harsh conditions of Earth, but she  never thought that would mean not being able to go back to the way it was before. Even though she was far from naïve from the things that needed to be done in order to survive, to see the scars it left on every single one of them was difficult. They stopped being kids the day they were send down here to die. Raven's words stil haunted her. Though she had the feeling the full meaning of those words had yet to hit home.

Her thoughts were interupted by a scuffle in the courtyard. Pushing her way through the crowd, she could see what the poblem was. Some of the older kids that came down with the Arc had gotten into a fight with some of the deliquents. A few adults who had seen the commotion tried to pull them apart but it proved harder that it looked. Some of the guards were about to get involved when suddenly it just... stopped.

Nathan Miller, the sergeant's son, had stepped in. He had simply shoved the struggeling adults to the side and had pulled the boys apart himself. Not far behind were some others that Abby recognized as part of the hundreds hunting party. By the dirt on their face's and hands they had only now returned. 

Though the two fighters looked ready to get back to it, one look from Miller had them cowering. One raised eyebrow and the youngest spilled the beans. As far as Abby could follow, the fight had started over a disagreement over the same hunting party that had broken up the fight. "The both of you are lucky Dad didn't see this or you'd be on latrine duty for a week. Jeremy, go see Mom about that leg of yours. Michael, report to me in five. You're late for your shift."

Not wanting to interfere in their bussiness, she'd have a talk to Clarke about that later, these kids needed to listen to her as well, Aby waited untill they were done talking before approaching the boy with the bad leg. She had him in medical when the kids had gotten back from the dropship. She never got to touch him however. When she lifted her hand to grab a hold of his shoulder, he slapped it away. The glare he sent her send chills down her spine. A harp 'Jeremy!' turned his head away. A girl, about the same age as him stood behind them, hands on her hips. 

"I'm sorry miss, he doesn't really take kindly to strangers. We'll just get Mom to take a look at him. He'll be fine, don't worry." By now Abby had gotten quite curious about this mom character the kids kept talking about. She had heard the term before of course, along with its Dad counterpart. She tried to follow them but got distracted by one of the guards on the site, requesting instructions. She was occupied for the rest of the day with the runnings of the camp. 

It was only when night had fallen that she thought about the young boy. She better have a look at him before his wound got infected. Even if she hadn't seen him in medical all day it didn't really come as a surprise. She had noticed quite early on that none of the hundred ever came to see her, even though they got injured far more often than the others. 

These were the things she was wondering about when she found Jeremy. He was sitting by the fire, all cleaned up with his head in Clarke's lap. The girl that had taken him away was sitting next to him, braiding Monroe's hair. Clarke's head was on Bellamy's shoulder and they were talking softly. Jasper and Monty were sitting behind them, leaning against the couple's back. The rest of the hundred were huddled around the fire, all touching in some form or the other. Some were sleeping, others were quietly talking or telling jokes. She could see heads on laps and shoulders, shoulders touching, hands brushing together or through someone else's hair... It looked like one of those old Earth pictures of Christmas. One big family, enjoying their time together.

The girl that was braiding Monroe's hair turned to Clarke, "Hey Mom, is Jer's leg going to be okay? He hurt it pretty bad again today didn't he?" Clarke smiled at her, clearly used to the nickname. "He'll be fine Fox, as long as he stays still for a couple of days. Which means no hunting for you mister!" "Oh, come on! Please Dad, won't you take me? I promise I'll be careful!" Bellamy just shook his head and grinned," Listen to your mother you idiot. Do you want her to tie you to your bed? Cause she will you know." Clarke slapped him on the arm, a sound of shocked protest escaping her mouth. Before she could start to defend herself Monty and Jasper told the story of that one time where she...

Abby would have smiled if it didn't sting so much. She rememberd a time when she was that happy with Clarke. She missed those. When she still had a husband and a daughter who loved her. But at least now she knew to whom the hundred, or what was left of them, turned to in their time of need. To their family.