Grounder village

Mud. Dirty, stinking, sticky, getting everywhere that it shouldn't kind of filth. Taking into account that they still weren't used to the weather, it wasn't a very pleasant trek. Exhaustion and discouragement were clear as day on the faces of the guards surrounding him, yet none complained. A tribute to their strength he liked to believe. In all honesty, they were just scared to death of attracting the wrong kind of attention. According to the signs, a grounder village was not far off.

Having never encountered a grounder before, they had no idea what to expect. Were they friendly? Probably not. Would they kill everyone on sight? Most likely. As far as the Arc knew, they killed the kids the second the dropship doors opened. Or at least captured them, killing them off one by one. It would explain the wristbands not responding. Many a parent had given up on finding their children, having mourned the day they experienced the ground themselves. Surrounded by fresh air and twisted metal, lamenting souls lost. 

It was also the reason why they were trekking through mud infested forests. The council had decided that the 100 deserved a proper burial. The mission was simple, find the dropship and check for survivors. Bury those that didn't. The group therefore consisted of volunteers, brave men willing to do a good deed.

Kane highly doubted there would be survivors. According to Tanner, earth skills teacher back on the Arc, there were signs of life all around them. A village had been spotted by a scouting team. They couldn't get close enough to see how many grounders there were but had seen smoke from multiple fires. At least eighty, Tanner reported. Kane hoped they were friendly because his entire plan was based on the hope. He was going in alone, asking to speak to their leader. Then he would try to locate the Hundred and negotiate safe passage through grounder territory. 

He waved his hands around, signaling the guard to keep their heads down and stay silent. The Arcfell were approaching camp. Kane was about to step forward and make himself known when one of the guards stopped him. A questioning look earned him a finger to the lips before it moved to an ear. Straining to hear the same thing, he almost missed it. Chatter. Very faint, but distinct. Voices, speaking most certainly English, young voices. They found the kids.

Now they only had the grounders to take care off. Assuming they were captured, a rescue mission was in order. The plans had changed, Kane couldn't negotiate safe passage. The Guard wanted to storm the camp and free those poor kids. A small scuffle broke out, Kane still wanting to broker peace when others had a different plan. One Guard eventually got tired of arguing and stepped out of the bushes. Only to get a gun shoved under his nose. 

Two men, armed with semi automatics, clothed in dark colors and even darker paint, held the careless guard at gunpoint. Not long after, another grounder appeared. A woman this time, followed closely by a third man. The way the men straightened at her approach, told more than a thousand words. She is their leader, ruler of these lands. The three men respected her and would do anything to protect her. And she would for them judging from the look on her face when she confronted the guard.

Before she could start questioning him, the others' heads had caught up with the scene and moved into action. The response was immediate. Out of nowhere, more grounders appeared and moved in front of the woman, shielding her from the forming threat. No immediate shots were fired but the tension was palpable. Both sides eyed each other with obvious distaste, waiting for the signal of their respective leaders.

Hoping for a chance at peace, Marcus came out of his hiding place. As he did however, a glint of recognition was found in the eyes of those present, quickly oppressed but impossible to miss. The distrust grew to an intense hatred, from trespassing boundaries to a personal vendetta. The blonde leader however, gave the command to lower their weapons. 

Shock only grew when she said, with a surprisingly soft voice: "Councilmember Kane? What are you doing here? We sent people to look for you, you know." Giving no further explanation, the Arcfell were urged forward, herded to the grounder village.