Asking Questions

"You have to admit sir, they seem to have it pretty good down here." Tanner commented. The two were following the girl away from the dropship, to where the soldiers were eating. Kane had to admit he was right. The tents still standing upright seemed sturdy enough and the kids worked diligently. As he watched, the gates opened again and let a group of hunters inside. Three of them were struggling to balance a deer between them while the last one went straight to Miller. Stoïc expression and wild hand gestures told an interesting story. Miller nodded along to the girl's report and ran back to the dropship, catching Clarke as she exited. 

Curiosity killed the cat they say. Bit weird if you think about it. Kane was about to turn around and see what was going on if Fox hadn't stopped him. When he turned, she was just there, smiling at him. "Seems like someone isn't very hungry. Why don't you sit down for a bit anyway?" Forced him in taking a seat next to Murray. The others looked happy enough. All of them were clutching a piece of meat between their teeth, tearing at it like it was their last meal. Though the 100 kept an obvious distance between the soldiers and the rest of camp, Kane could tell which ones were watching them. He turned to Fox, hoping she'd be willing to answer a few questions. 

The dark haired girl was seated on a log not far away, cup of tea between her hands. "Am I allowed to ask questions now?" "Sure, just don't expect an answer on every one of them." She smirked. Those sitting close to her tensed, feeling the disrespect pouring from her every word. After a glance from Kane, they relaxed but the stiffness in their shoulders remained. "Alright, first query. By who and why are we being guarded?" Fox smiled, "Surely you can figure that one out for yourselves? Why is obvious, we don't trust you and some of us wouldn't think twice about slashing your throats. As to who, we call them the Militia, formed in the Beginning. They're the only ones with guns. Miller is in charge now, they protect the camp and send out hunting parties."

Even if she didn't like them very much, the spark in her eyes shone brighter when telling about the workings of the camp. Firing question after question, Marcus Kane started to see another pattern. Anything about the camp in the state it was in now, she answered easily enough. Nothing they couldn't deduce for themselves. When more in depth, she evaded them like the plague. Anything from the landing to the moment the soldiers came was off limits. A whole lot of information. After some prodding, she gave up one detail. How many they had lost. 

"It'll be easier to show you. Leave your men and come with me." Doing as he was told, she led him outside the gate to a plot in the shade of the wall, guarded by two gunners. There, behind a clump of trees were graves. About twenty of them. "You can guess what this is. They aren't marked but everyone knows who's buried here. Some of the bodies were never found but we still held a funeral of sorts."

" Tell me, who's here?" She gestured to the first two, on the left of the plot. "Jack and Glen died in the crash. They didn't even get to see the outside of the dropship. Next to them are Atom, Pascal and Trina. Lost them to the Acid fog. Then Charlotte, to a mutant cat. We lost Connor, Myles and Derek to the Midnight Fever. Dax and Katie were killed by one of our own and they caused the deaths of the others lying here. If you want to know anything else, ask Clarke." With that, Fox left him there, looking over those lost to the living.