Chapter 24

Chris P.O.V

"Christopher. Wake up."

I woke up and I see my mom smiling at me. "Guess what day it is?" she asked.

"Um, I don't know," I answered sleepily.

"It's your birthday," she said.

"Oh, yeah." I rubbed my eyes.

"So I just wanted to say happy birthday and here are your invitations for your friends." She hands the invitations to me.

"Thanks, Mom." I took them and got out of bed.

"Now we're having the party on Saturday at eleven," Mom said. "What do you want to eat that day?"

"Um, spaghetti and meatballs?" I suggested.

"Oh, Chris. I don't know if I'll make that much for a bunch of people," Mom said.

Why not?" I whined.

"Honestly, I wanna make something that's easier for me to make," she said.

I sighed. "Fine. Potatoes and gravy with some kind of meat."

"Better." She kisses me on the forehead. "That will be your birthday dinner."

"Thanks, Mom."

"You're welcome. Your father and I won't be home for supper tonight. Okay?"

I nodded my head.

"Good. Goodbye now." She walked out of my room.

After I got done taking a shower and getting everything ready for school, my phone vibrated. I looked to see I got a text message. I looked at it and got confused because an unknown number sent a text to me. I opened my phone and read the message.

Hey. Seth gave me your number and I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday. Brian.

I smiled. That was so sweet of Brian to sent me a happy birthday text.

I texted him, Thanks, Brian.

A couple of minutes later, he texted back, You're welcome. You doing anything special today?

No. My parents are working late, so we're gonna celebrate it on Saturday. Why?

Wanna hangout after school today?

My smile widen when I read the message. I texted back, Sure.

Great. See you later.

I put my phone in my pocket, still smiling as I went upstairs to the kitchen.

"Whatcha smiling about, Chris?" Dad asked when I entered the kitchen.

"It's his birthday, Dominic. Why else would he be happy?" Grandpa said.

"Maybe it's because of a girl," Mia said when she entered the kitchen with Mariah, Jake, and Nate.

"Hardy-har-har," I said.

"Well, Chris. I made your favorite breakfast: buttermilk waffles!" Dad said, holding up a plate of them.

"Thanks, Dad," I said.

"No problem. It's just something that I made for your birthday since your mom and I won't be home for supper tonight," Dad said.

"Which reminds me, we'll be having leftovers tonight," Grandpa said.

"I'll be at a friend's house after school, if that's okay," I said.

"Of course it is," Grandpa said.

"Which friend is it, Chris?" Dad asked.