Atlantis Twisting Tides - Chapter Six C

Chapter Six C

Flint and Freedom

 I hefted the spear gun onto my shoulder. The weight pressed down on my body and my mind. I didn’t like the weapon, and didn’t want to actually shoot it. I had to believe the threat of being hurt would make Wade do what I asked.

Ignoring my unease, I marched to the encampment with trembling legs. The shakiness traveled from my limbs to my stomach, rocking my determination. “Neither of you make a move.” I forced fury into my voice making it sound tougher.

“Adria.”  Kai’s happy-to-see-you type of tone almost sounded welcoming.

I wouldn’t let him distract me. Pointing the weapon at Wade, I said, “Kai, untie my brother, or I’ll shoot Wade.”

 “Adria, don’t—”

“I said, untie him.” The words shook. That was nothing compared to my quivering trigger finger and quaking knees. I had to stay strong. Determined.

“Do it.” Wade ordered with a jerk of his defeated head.

“That’s my sister.” Reef’s pride rang out. “Royal, through and through.”

I straightened my shoulders. I’d made a plan and carried it out. I hadn’t observed from a distance. I’d gotten involved. I hadn’t run, or cowered in terror.

“We really weren’t going to hurt Prince Reef.” Wade took a menacing step. “We needed information.”

The earlier trembling vibrated in my chest. Guess he wasn’t defeated. Only acting. Trying to catch me off guard.

“Don’t move.” I jerked the gun.

“Done.” Kai held the rope in his hands. “Now what?” He sounded willing to do whatever I asked.

Reef jumped to his feet and rubbed his wrists. “You got Wade covered?”

I nodded, keeping my eyes on Wade. He could still try to take the weapon.

“Step back by that tree.” Reef ordered Kai.

Watching Reef tie Kai to the tree, the vibrations moved from my chest to my heart. Even though he was with bad guys, he’d tried to save me when he thought I was human. I didn’t understand his reasoning, but deep down, I knew he wouldn’t hurt me.

“Wade’s turn.” Reef shoved Wade toward another tree, harder than he’d handled Kai.

I tapped my bare foot on the sand. “Hurry, Riva and Zale will be back soon.”

Reef tied Wade. He pulled the rope extra tight. “We’re going to wait for them.”

“W-what? I thought we’d take off while we had the opportunity.” So much for everything going according to my plan.

“They’d free Wade. We can’t let them do that.” Reef moved next to me and kissed me on the cheek. “Once we have them all tied up, we’ll alert the palace guards and they can come and put them in prison.” He wadded up a bunch of leaves and shoved them in Wade and Kai’s mouths. “That should keep them quiet.”

Just like when we were kids, Reef had hijacked my plan. And, like a little kid, I wanted to stomp my foot. This was my idea. What he said made sense, though. If we let Riva and Zale go, they’d rescue Wade and Kai. They’d all get free, and none of them would go to prison.