Atlantis Twisting Tides - Chapter Five A

Chapter Five A

Atlanteans All

My heart stopped beating, shocked into hearing the truth. My body stopped moving. My brain stopped thinking. Then, they all rushed into frenzied motion. All this time, I thought I had to stay by Kai because he was human and couldn’t swim away. I thought I was rescuing him and believed I was letting him think he was rescuing me. He seemed honest and likeable.

And all this time, he’d lied.

Like a twisted tide, shock switched to anger. I jumped to my feet, fisting my hands. “You’re Atlantean? You didn’t need to be rescued in the hurricane?”

My power of observations had always been sharp. I’d noticed that he didn’t seem that scared when the boat was being tossed around. I’d seen how he’d enjoyed being underwater. I’d thought it weird he wanted to make fire with wet wood. I’d ignored all those doubts—because he was cute.

I wanted to slink back down into the sand. I was such an idiotic bottom dweller.

Kai’s mouth curled into an ugly frown. His sharp gaze accused. “You didn’t need rescuing, either.”

“How sweet.” There was no sweetness in Wade’s voice, only contempt. “You both thought you were rescuing the other…when you were both lying.”

Examining the ground, I brushed imaginary sand off my thighs. A strong prickling sensation burned my eyes. Tears? You couldn’t feel tears as strong underwater. “I guess I don’t need to hang around to make sure you get off the island.”

Kai placed two fingers on my chin and lifted my head. His expression showed confusion. “Adria, look—”

“She’s not going anywhere.” Standing, Wade grabbed my wrist again. I was definitely going to have finger marks there. “I bet her brother has the entire Kingdom of Merta searching for her.”

Sucking down air, I choked.

“Her brother?” Kai dropped my chin.

“Yes, Prince Reef.” Wade emphasized my brother’s title.

Kai’s stare changed to a horrified expression. His skin paled beneath his tan. His mouth dropped open and then closed. There was no doubt that he recognized my brother’s name.

The wind whistled jumbling all the questions in my head. Did he hate the current Merta policies? Did he hate royalty? Especially half-mermaid royalty? Did he hate me because I was a princess? Maybe he’d cared for me before…before he knew who I truly was. Maybe Kai had a thing for humans. Common ones, not royal.

“She’ll make a valuable hostage.” Wade patted Kai’s shoulder. “Great job, tricking her into staying with you.”

My heart, which had finally returned to normal, bruised from his statement. Each beat pummeled in pain. Is that what had just happened?

Tense lines formed around Kai’s lips. His eyes hooded, hiding his true feelings, but the paleness was present. He hadn’t known that I was Atlantean, or a princess.

“You won’t need to kiss her anymore.” Wade’s teasing tone sounded like a Bully Shark.

I puffed out hot cheeks. Was he teasing me, or Kai?

“Thank Poseidon.” Kai swiped his mouth.

My heart beat out my stupidity. Obviously, Wade was only teasing me. Kai had used me. He’d taken advantage and made me a fool. But…

He’d been shocked when Wade had told him the truth. Waves rolled over the thoughts in my mind. Why was Kai playing it off like he’d known all along? What kind of hold did Wade have over Kai?

Crashing through the trees stopped my common sense thoughts. Riva ran toward us, her face flushed.

“Wade!” She bent at the waist. “Prince Reef is swimming near the lagoon.”

My chest lightened and relief spread through my veins. It was as if talking about Reef made him appear. He’d save me.

“Zale’s watching him.” Riva lifted her head showing a panicked expression.

“We don’t have to catch him. Prince Reef will come to us.” Wade’s confidence was in direct contrast to Riva’s rushed words. “Tell him we have his sister, Adria.”

I was going to be bait. To catch a prince. “No.”

“Tell him I want to talk to him about Poseidon’s message.”

“What message?” I knew there were things Reef had kept secret about his trip to the ocean near southern California. I’d never heard him talk about a message from Poseidon. Even to our father.

Wade ignored my question.

No big surprise there.

“Go, now.”

Riva snapped to attention, the unease disappearing from her face. She ran back in the same direction.

Wade pounded Kai on the back. “Now, we don’t have to sneak into the Merta palace. We’ll get Reef to give us the information we need by using his sister.”

Sneak into the palace? The words echoed in my head.

Kai’s gaze traveled from Wade to me and back again. “But—”

“Watch her while I get rope from the cave. I’ll be back in a minute.” Wade’s warning was directed at Kai. Then, Wade headed toward the highest point on the island.

Watch me? I clenched my hands, controlling the fury. I longed to punch Kai, except punching would waste time—and I’d lose a fist fight against him. My only option was to run. He might be faster than me, but if I could get to Reef or into the water I’d be safer.

My gaze shifted between Wade, following the path, and Kai, who continued to stare at me. He leaned forward as if he wanted to whisper something. I couldn’t let him get that close. My muscles bunched, waiting for the right moment.

Wade passed behind a short, squatty palm tree.

I took off in a sprint—an uncoordinated, spastic sprint—because I wasn’t used to running. 

Kai was on my heels in seconds.

Happy New Year! Sorry I posted the next section later than usual. The next chapter will be posted on Thursday, January 8, 2015.