Chapter 2

Leo punched the wall in frustration.

He was in bunker 9, like usual. His failed attempt at an Archimedes sphere, lay in shambles in the ground.

The original piece of machinery sat on the bench to my left. He'd been reading tons of books (which he did not do on a regular basis) with any sort of mention of the contraption, but to his dismay Leo was unable to find a 'build your own Archimedes sphere; 10 easy steps' page in any of the old Greek scrolls.

Why can't I do anything right, he mentally screamed.

I guess this is why Nico hates me,

The truth was, Leo had been trying to become Nico's friend for a while now. The kid seemed so...lonely. Leo had been there and it was awful, all he had wanted was someone to talk to, someone he trusted, like he had with his mama...

He punched the wall again, this time a lot harder, it hurt but it distracted him, and that was his ultimate goal; distract yourself from the real world and you'll be happy.

So far it wasn't working.

Running his hands irritably through his hair, Leo began pacing around the huge room.
His mind was working over time, thinking about what went wrong with both his invention and attempts at friendship.

Whatever, if he doesn't wanna be my friend, I can't make him, he thought.

This is why he preferred machines.

After three hours of solid failure Leo left his beloved bunker 9, he'd come back later.
Just gotta wait for a brain wave.

Trudging into the dining pavilion, Leo arrived just in time to slip into the line, ready to scrape some ol' munchies into the fire for the gods.

As he made his way back to his seat, Leo glanced over at the Hades table, where Nico sat all alone. He couldn't help but notice, the kid had practically nothing on his plate.

The night drew on, yet no brilliant ideas came to Leo.

Sitting in front of the bonfire, Leo's eyes slid in and out of focus as he stared at nowhere in particular.

He didn't even notice everyone was going to bed. One of his siblings had to punch him in the arm to get his attention.

After promising he in fact had noticed everyone was leaving and was just 'choosing' to stay behind, Leo remained sitting by the dying fire.

He wasn't the only one.

On the other side of the burning coals, sat another camper.
Small, hunched and cloaked in shadows.

'Nico?' Leo asked tentatively

The kid nearly jumped outta his skin, clearly Leo wasn't the only spacey one around these days.

'Oh it's you' Nico said,

'Yup' Leo replied, unsure what to say to keep the sad excuse for a conversation going.
He didn't have anything.

'Why are you still here?' The question didn't sound accusatory, funnily enough, Nico sounded mildly interested.

'Oh well, uhhhh...' Leave it up to Leo to bring them back into awkwardly silence.

Leo you idiot, he was legit the one initiating small talk and you blew it!! You idiot!

Leo looked back at the figure sitting across from him, unable to stand the tension, he got up, walked around the fire pit and plonked down next to the broody 14 year old.

Nico looked at Leo, half surprise half irritated.

Leo got that a lot.

'Sooooo, read any good books lately?' Leo said lamely,

Nico almost smiled at the dumb question 'no, you?'

Leo's automatic response would've been no, but given his recent obsession with the Archimedes that would be a lie 'well actually yes'

Nico looked surprised 'You? Reading a book?'

'Jee don't sound so shocked' Leo said

'I mean you don't strike me as....well, academic' Nico replied, a small smirk playing on his lips,

Leo just gaped at him 'did you just call me stupid?!'

'Maybe' Nico chuckled,

They sat there grinning stupidly for a few minutes, when suddenly...

'I'm going to bed' Nico said abruptly

'Oh, uhh ok' Leo said looking a little confused

Nico cleared his throat, before hastily making his way to the Hades cabin, leaving Leo sitting in the dark, all alone.