IXX

The water flowed over her head unexpectedly, and she parted the curtain of chestnut curls, gasping slightly.

"Apologies, my lady," murmured one of the naiads, Hali, before scattering more aster petals throughout the water. Persephone smiled, and shook her head.

"My fault, not yours."

Hali smiled, and made a small sound with her mouth to signal the other Cocythiae to add more flowers into the bath.

"Yarrow for protection, hellebore for soothing," she proclaimed, her words echoing around the black marble of the pool. Persephone closed her eyes as more water flooded over her, and listened to the naiad's melodious voice.

"Iris for womanhood, lilies for fertility, and -"

The goddess opened one eye to look up at her pause, and a mischievous grin flashed over Hali's face.

"Violets for happiness in the marital bedchamber."

Giggles bounced around the bath as each girl showed her age, before the serene solemnity returned. Waves lapped at the sides of the pool, and Persephone sighed before nuzzling back down into the warm water, smiling.

Married. They were going to be married today.

Pale light shone through between the black pillars of stone, from flowers, souls, and the luminescent river water that flowed around them all.

If, as her father had always wished, she had married someone like Ares, or maybe Hermes, she would be in an ivory bath, nymphs cooing as they groomed her, whispering in their nauseating voices dripping in honey that she was 'the luckiest goddess alive'. Artemis would snort as she lay on an amassment of pillows nearby, before taking another sip from her cup, thinly-veiled worry glinting in her eyes. Persephone would meet her gaze and the ice would go up, masking any evidence of unease for the young goddess. She would look to her mother for reassurance, encouragement that she wasn't making a mistake. And her mother would stare down at her with those sad, tired eyes, and give a weak smile that betrayed her age. How many years had she spent trying to prevent this, to save her daughter? Her mother would look away, up to the sky, and close her eyes.

Persephone opened her eyes and turned her face to the dome above them. The stone was littered with flaming insects, illuminating crawling shadows on ancient carvings that looked older than her beloved.

Mother.

The winds shifted around them, and Hali looked up beneath long lashes, her delicate nose twitching.

Persephone gathered her strength and continued.

I know you can hear me. Mother, I'm sorry you can't be here today. I know that this isn't what you expected, or ... wanted. And I'm sorry, for hurting you.

Images of Hades flashed in her mind, the way he had looked at the hill as they inched closer, the tears that ran into his smile as she ordered that he marry her, and a sweet grin broke out across her face.

But I cannot remember a time I've ever been more happy than today. My heart bursts for joy, and -

And I am in love. I hope you will be happy for me.

There was no response from the wind, but suddenly, all around the goddess, was the sweet, sweet smell of flowers. From the pool, around her, yes, but there was more - roses, crocuses, lilies, larkspurs. The scent brushed her face, wiping away tears, and settled gently around her, like a crown.

Not a drop of water could be heard as the goddess cried happily, and the Cocythiae watched on, confused, but smiling. Finally, a hand lifted her chin.