XII

"Lady Kore -"

"If you wish to keep your head, Hermes, you will refer to me by my true name."

"But my lady -"

"I am not going back. You know you cannot make me."

"My lady -"

Persephone strode across the floor, her bare feet slapping against the cold stone with preeminent rage. Anyone who stepped into her path would feel her wrath.

Hermes, unwisely miscalculating the danger he was in, followed her.

"My lady, you cannot stay here, it is ridiculous, the goddess of the Springtime in the realm of the Underworld? And think of the mortals, their crops are dying, your mother refuses to allow Summer to return until you are safe -"

"I am safe," she seethed, whirling around to face the Messenger with her teeth bared. He pulled back, eyes wide, the wings adorning his golden sandals flapping weakly as the journey from Olympus began to drag on them.

Oh.

She liked that look.

Her chin rose, and she glared fixedly at her former chaperone. The ice in her eyes seemed to chill even the glacial stone below them, and Hermes gulped.

"Kore, please -"

"Hermes," she interrupted sweetly, smiling at him with deathly poison. "I have long been overdue for a ... respite, for many decades now. This is where I have decided to spend it. I came of age three score and nine years ago - you cannot well order me around as you used to when I embraced the name of my birth."

With a venomous simper, she twirled around and marched to the silent double doors, intending to go out and find a quiet spot to calm her angry, racing heart.

And then Hades walked in.

"Hermes," he said, dipping his head. Hermes did the same.

"My lord Hades, I suspect you know why I am here -"

"Indeed I do." He shot Persephone a level look, before walking softly over to the throne and seating himself in it.

Hermes cleared his throat. "My lord Hades, you know my purpose. Lady Kore must be brought back up to the surface, and be reunited with her mother, if only for the mortals' sake. The Lady Kore must be there to attend the rights of Spring and make way for the new season of crops, and if she doesn't, the Lady Kore -"

"My lord Hermes," Hades interrupted, smiling ever so slightly. "The lady has chosen the name Persephone, and I do believe it would be prudent to address her as such." The corners of his mouth twitched slightly in the ghost of a smile before he fell back into his serious brow.

Persephone raised her head and looked upon Hades, eyes sparkling, a feral grin forming on her perfect rosebud lips. She never thought she had seen anyone so beautiful.

Hermes stared at the lord of Hell, before biting the inside of his lip and murmuring, "Of course."

Persephone glared at the messenger. Bastard.

There was a sigh.

"He's right."

Her head snapped up, and her fiery eyes met dark, chilled ones.

"What?"

She didn't think she'd ever seen so much sadness in one man's eyes.

"You cannot stay here, Lady Persephone," Hades said gently, attempting a smile but giving up when he saw her face. "Hermes is right. You must complete your duties as the daughter of Spring and you cannot do that here."