EPISODE 8

COVID has been hell for everyone, including me. To add to that mix was my anxiety, family troubles and depression and you get a useless writer. I am recovering so I won't make any promises but what I can promise is that I will put more effort into writing and write because you few people deserve to see this book end. 

Changes to names are:

Muskan - Min Mi-so

Khushi - Min Mi-hi

Lee Jong Min - Cha Min

Adarsh - Seol Ji-Won

Hope you enjoy reading.

--------------x-----------------

KANG MO-YEON

I have always been the type of person who prepares for every forcible outcome. Let's take my car for example I have always carried an overnight stay bag apart from my hospital supplies, basic medical supplies in addition to the first aid box. And in light of recent relationships, weapons as well. So it was quite a surprise when I saw a letter stuffed in my duffle bag. To be very honest I haven't rearranged the bag in what seems like ages. Though it's most probably would have been a little over a year.

As soon as I saw the black ink I knew why that letter was hidden at such a place. It was THE letter.

The confirmation of his death.

The proof of his broken promise to me.

The source of my pain.

The murderer of my hope.

(For those who still don't remember. Shi-jin left a letter to Mo-yeon. All soldiers leave one before a mission in case they don't return)

Now I clearly remember why it was stuffed there. I tossed it in some dark corner of my trunk but I couldn't care less about it. Picking up the duffle bag, I switched on the front camera of my hand-phone to make sure I haven't shed any tears. Because the last thing I want right now is to trouble Shi-jin about this.

Locking my car I made way to Shi-jin's house. Because my solider has been silent for long, he usually would have checked in on me at least once. The front door was open. Shrugging off last remains of my emotional discomfort I stepped into his beautiful house.

Standing at the doorway a new wave of shyness filled me. I haven't spent a night at a guy's house before. Scratch that, I haven't spent a night at someone else's house for a while now.

Still, I gathered my courage and moved towards what I suppose in the living room? "Shijin-ah?" My voice gave a weird echo but I ignored it. Halting for a second I placed my duffle bag beside the door and twisted the knob to open the door.

There he was rummaging through a chest of drawers at the end of the room. The room itself was a small one and not very well lit. Scanning the various shelves filled with files and a desk overflowing with papers, I concluded it's his office.

"What are you looking for?" I announced my presence from the threshold; god knows what kind of documents are here.

He jumped up as if being startled by my voice. "You scared me." He said dramatically putting his hands on his chest and shutting the drawers with the other. "I was looking for the key of my guest room, can't seem to find. Guess you have to share a room with me tonight, we have been doing that quite a lot recently."

At his suggestive tone, I threw the slippers I have been holding at him. I managed to make my way to the living room, while simultaneously trying to calm down my flaming cheeks.

I could hear his boisterous laugh bouncing in the empty corridors as he followed me inside.

"Here, wear these. The floor gets quite cold." He offered the slippers that I have thrown at him earlier. Shi-jin put the slippers in front of my feet and settled down beside me on his couch.

I didn't say anything just leaned back into him and took in every detail of his house. It was a beautiful combination of whites, beiges and browns. The house was the definition of minimalistic yet trendy.

The wooden sofa we were sitting on was meant for only two people. A lamp at the side cast soft light, a small in the centre of the rug and cute plant sitting beside it.

"Do you like it?" Shi-jin whispered not breaking the silence which covered us.

His eyes held mine, the sincerity reflecting clear as day. The same sincerity which has brought me back to him after all the times I have walked away.

"I love it. When can I come back?"

Shi-jin gave me his cute sheepish smile, the one that made him look younger than he is. He squeaked a tiny 'anytime' and hugged me tightly.

We stayed like that for a few moments, both of us enjoying the peace after the strenuous events of Vancouver. It was about half an hour later when he yawned, making me aware of the lack of sleep we both had.

Detaching myself from Shi-jin, I asked: "Shall we sleep?" To which he wordlessly pulled me up and took us to what I assume is his room.

Once in his room, in no time we both have changed and completed our nightly routines so smoothly that I was again amazed at how in tune we are to one another.

And as soon as I settled down in his embrace, I drifted off to the dreamland.

---

YOO SHI-JIN

The amount of chaos that picture brought me can be measured by the fact that, even with Mo-Yeon in my arms, I was still tensed.

I had hidden the photo, but the threat which accompanied was still ringing in my head. My mind was racing faster than it has ever done. Coming up with people who could be responsible, to what I should do in this situation, whom to tell, whom to ask for help.

I was scared, to be honest, scared for Mo-yeon, Myeong-ju, other people who may have been targeted, and my relationship. Everything.

At least Mo-yeon being close brought the peace to me that she is fine. Unable to resist the urge of some kind of movement, I cautiously detangled myself from Mo-yeon. She had been knocked out for good 2 hours now, she won't notice the absence.

Back in the study, I took out the picture again and this tried to recall the details of that day. Where must this person had hidden to take this was the easy question. The parking lot of a popular hotel isn't a hard place to reach.

The tough question was did other people too got threats, were they also photographed, did Da-young got one, did Mi-so got one?

Should I call them to confirm or will just make them worry? Taking a deep breath I decided that first I need information and a second opinion of someone who knew all these things but could not be a supposed target.

I had just picked up my phone to call this person when I heard scream from upstairs. Specifically Mo-yeon's scream.