The Hybrid : Part 1

Start from the beginning

"A day and a half in wolf-form, with minimal rest." Jimin replies after a brief pause, calculating the time required in his mind. Seokjin nods in acknowledgement just as there is a loud creak and the door opens, admitting Jungkook and Jiwoo into the room.

The younger runs to his brother as soon as he realizes Seokjin is awake. "Jiiiin!" The prince almost laughs at the whine; it reminds him so much of an even younger version of Jungkook who would always tag along behind him like a tail, whining that Seokjin should join him and his friends to play. "When did you wake up? You should've sent someone to inform me!" The young alpha sends Namjoon a betrayed kind of look and Seokjin wonders when the two had gotten close enough for the shy Jungkook to act so freely around the elder alpha.

"Yah!" Seokjin finally sits up and drags Jungkook towards him, pinching his cheek. "Since when did you start speaking in that tone to your elders?" he admonishes the younger playfully. Jungkook just sticks his tongue out at his brother and plops onto Seokjin, making the elder gasp in surprise at the sudden hug Jungkook envelopes him in.

Seokjin doesn't speak, just hugs his brother tightly and finds comfort in the warm embrace because as much as he tried to reassure Namjoon that it was alright, Jin had still been afraid.

***

They were gathered at the castle's main entrance, the handy changing rooms just a few feet behind them.

Namjoon stood some distance away, seemingly conversing with Soobin and Jimin, the latter was leaning heavily against the younger alpha's side for stability. Jiwoo was also there, clutching onto supply bags for Namjoon and Seokjin while she waited for the eldest prince to finish speaking with her mate.

Hoseok had refused to leave Yoongi's side, so Seokjin had waited until everyone else had left the room to go make arrangements for the trip before approaching his best friend.

He had put a hand on his best friend's shoulder, giving a little reassuring squeeze. "It will be okay, Hobi. I'll make sure that Taehyung is ready with everything by the time you get there with Yoongi. He's a strong person and will get better in no time at all."

Hoseok gave him a wry, tight-lipped smile but didn't say anything. Seokjin took a moment to study both Hoseok and Yoongi and then turned around to leave. It's only just as he was about to close the door behind himself that he hears the alpha's voice.

"I'm sorry, Jin." The prince had stopped in the midst of pulling the door shut to look at Hoseok through the half open door.

"What for?"

"For choosing Yoongi over you..." the alpha said and Seokjin was confused for a moment until Hoseok's next words make it clear. "Jungkook told me – he didn't mean to, but...I know how you used to feel."

Prior to that particular moment, Seokjin had always dreaded the possibility of this confrontation, of Hoseok finding out that once upon a time he'd been in love with the alpha. He imagined what he would feel like in this exact moment –nervous, embarrassed, tongue-tied. But surprisingly, he doesn't feel that way. Instead he feels lighthearted. A small smile crept onto his face as he nodded.

"Please don't apologize for that - ever." He'd said with conviction. "On no account would I ever begrudge either you or Yoongi happiness. You two are perfect for each other and you and I were just never meant to be. It was an experience I needed to have and when I think back, I always feel that a romantic relationship between us would've never worked anyway. Omega instincts and all that shit, you know." Seokjin looked down the corridor as he'd said it. He felt Namjoon nearby, probably waiting for him around the corner of the corridor. When he'd turned back to face Hoseok, the other looked a bit more relaxed than before.