CHAPTER I

It's just a little few hours after noon and little Lisa found herself standing in the clearing. The place is still within the premises of Kim's private property where a wide span of woodland surrounded the main house.

The woodland area is regularly maintained and supervised so it's completely safe for the two girls to roam by themselves except, of course, after dark or few hours before it. It was one of the first rules Warren told Lisa in her first few weeks in their care.

Lisa loves the woodland. Jennie and her could play in it every single day and will never get bored. They will make up some games and play until they get exhausted. She really enjoyed every part of it - well, except this clearing. Where the old well is.

The sun's high in the sky and the sweat made her shirt stick to her back as Lisa clutched her baby doll to her chest. She's standing right in front of the old well, just a dozen more steps and she'll be able to look down and see what's inside of it. Because, even after months of playing in the woodland, she always made sure to stray away from this clearing, and so, she never see what's inside the old well.

Lisa felt the itch to put her thumb in her mouth to at least lessen the fear that's pumping in her chest but then she remembers how her unnie hates it and it's enough to put a complete stop to it.

"You know how I hate naughty girls, my Lisa"

A shiver run down her spine.

"unnie?" little Lisa called out. She scanned the whole area, her feet stay rooted in its place, as she looks around her surroundings, checking for any signs of Jennie.

She would never have thought of stepping foot in this part of the woodland if not for the fact that she already looked everywhere for Jennie. They are playing hide and seek after they had their lunch earlier and Lisa was the 'IT'. Before Lisa could even start counting to ten, the older girl walked closer and whispered something to her ear.

"don't look in the well" Jennie whispered then she took off.

Her unnie knew how afraid Lisa is of this place, especially the well. But Jennie is someone who can be both playful and sadistic. Though Lisa is not yet, even remotely, aware of the extent of the latter word when it comes to Jennie.

Still, even with the glaring hint given by her older sister, Lisa still tried to search for her in other places, hoping that Jennie was just teasing her, but only to be dismayed. And that's why, without any other option, Lisa stepped foot in this place even every instinct in her body's telling her to run and forget about this silly game. But then again, she knew how Jennie hated it when things left unfinished. A game shall not end until it really ends - or in the case of Jennie - until she ended it herself.

"Unnie, are you here?" Lisa called out again but only the brief gust of the wind and distinct chirps of the birds that flew overhead answered her.

However, suddenly, the clearing was enveloped by an odd kind of silence and stillness. Like someone has a remote and pressed the pause and mute button of her surroundings, ceasing all the movement and sound at once. The nearby trees hushed its rustling leaves, the birds and the little (safe) wild animals stray away from this particular area, while the wind seemed to held it's breath.

It lasted for a few loud thumps of Lisa's heart.

And then someone giggled.

In the location of the well.

Lisa's already rooted body froze even more in cold fear. The thought of running out of this place left her completely for she knows, that even then, she won't be able to escape. But as the giggling sound continues, it's familiarity slowly dawned on her.
Her little mind finally recognized it. For it's a constant sound that surrounds her since she became a Kim.