[62] time is on my side

Time Is on My Side

"How's Hyde handling it?"

Donna was sitting at her kitchen table, painting her nails while Jackie held a towel firmly around her hair. The girls had just gotten done turning Donna blonde, as a way to change things up after the almost-wedding. But ever since that letter had come in the mail with Izzy's name written on the envelope, it's been the main topic of discussion amongst the girls.

And only the girls.

"He's not talking about it," Izzy sighed. "Every time Paris, or France, or french fries, or Brigitte Bardot gets mentioned, he totally changes the subject!"

"Men," Jackie said, shaking her head. "They're just like dogs. Mention one thing they don't like and boom! They're acting differently for the next week. Happened with Nick a month ago; I mentioned wanting to go on the grapefruit diet, and he refused to talk about fruit for ten days."

Donna chuckled. "Jackie, that's because the grapefruit diet instills fear in everyone," she looked over at Izzy again. "You guys need to talk this out. I mean, Eric and I didn't talk things out, and look where that got us."

Izzy nodded. "I know. And, believe me, I've tried talking to him about it. But at this point, I'm just doing with him what I'm doing with the others."

Izzy looked around, expecting acknowledgement of what she meant. When it was obvious that Donna and Jackie were both clueless, Izzy continued: "Oh. I mean I'm gonna give them time."

"Ohh," Jackie and Donna said in unison.

Donna furrowed her brow. "And by them, you mean..."

"Everyone else? My parents, Fez, Kelso... assuming you two have come to terms with it, of course."

Jackie waved Izzy off. "Of course I have! It's Paris, Iz! Why wouldn't I be excited for you?"

Izzy paused. "Um... because when I first told you, you yelled, 'You bitch!' and ran out of the room?"

"Well, that's because you're gonna be around French guys. Duh."

Donna laughed. "What changed your mind, Jackie?"

"Izzy promised she'd send me a beret."

"Valid," Donna said. "I was fine with it right when you told me, Iz. It's a great opportunity, and I'm in no place to be angry about it," she paused. "Out of sheer curiosity, what were the others' initial reactions?"

Izzy took a breath, trying to recount the events, even though they weren't long ago at all. "After Hyde read the letter, he kind of looked at me for a second, then put it back on the counter and went downstairs. A- And I didn't stop him, because I was in shock, too. He hasn't brought it up since, and I definitely don't want to be the one to.

Kelso seemed pretty excited for me. Fez, too. Part of me thinks they don't actually understand what's happening, but you never know. As for Eric, he was surprised, to say the least. Hugged me real tight, think he broke a few ribs. But he was the first to react positively."

"And your parents?" Donna asked.

Izzy held up a finger. "I'm getting there. So my mom started freaking out when I told her the location is France, not fucking Illinois. She..." Her voice dropped slightly. "I mean, it was really difficult to watch. It was like she was having a full-on panic attack right in front of me. And the whole time my dad was just sitting in his armchair, staring at me. A- And then, when Mom stopped yelling... she started crying." Izzy took in a shaky breath. "And my dad just stood up and went upstairs. And Mom followed."