[14] the good son

The Good Son

It was Friday night, and Izzy and Donna were up in Izzy's bedroom. Izzy was folding her laundry and Donna had picked out a Cosmo magazine to read while laying on the bed.

"You know, Cosmo's really going downhill." Donna said. "I mean, look at this section: 'Why Nice Guys Finish Last--a woman's need for a man who dominates, protects, and occasionally mistreats her.' Isn't that disgusting?"

"Barf. I don't know one girl who seeks out being mistreated."

"I know! Who wakes up thinking, 'Ooh, I really hope I suffer today!"

Izzy laughed. She picked up a pair of jeans out of her laundry basket and started to fold them, seeing a small piece of paper stick out of the pocket. She took it out, unfolding it. "Oh my god."

"What is that?"

"The uh... when I went to that bar with the guys, you know after Bernice... I kinda started talking to the bartender there. He gave me his number."

"Ew!"

"No! He's not like a creepy old bartender! I think he said he's in college somewhere around here."

"Are you gonna call him?"

Izzy was already picking up the phone. "Way ahead of you."

Donna laughed. "Okay, then I'm gonna head home. I don't want to be around to see you try and flirt, I already see that enough with Hyde."

"What? Ew, what? Donna, I-" Izzy stopped. "Nick! Hi, it's Izzy. We met at your bar a little bit ago?"

-

The next morning at breakfast, Izzy was dancing around with plates of food as everyone ate. Izzy always made breakfast on Saturday mornings, it was a good way to get her to keep her mind occupied on the weekends.

"What are you so cheery about, Isabelle?"

Izzy came over and kissed her father's cheek. "Nothing, Daddy." She set down a plate of waffles on the table.

"Hey, thanks, Izzy Bee." Hyde said with a wide grin. "You know, we never had waffles at my house. My mom always said that a waffle iron was a luxury. Like, um, pillowcase. Or not getting hit." Everyone shared a concerned look. "Man, this is so cool!"

"Don't worry about it, Steven. See, Eric? I told you I'm cool."

"Eric, did you tell your sister that she's not cool?" Kitty asked.

"What? Well, I mean-"

"Stop telling your sister she's not cool!" Red said.

"Yeah, stop telling Izzy Bee she's not cool." Hyde said with a crooked grin as Izzy sat down across from him,

"Fine, Izzy. You're super fly."

"Thanks, idiot."

"Don't call Eric an idiot!" Red said.

"Steven," Kitty said, getting up. "Would you like maple syrup or blueberry syrup?"

Hyde looked up, confused. "You have syrup?" Kitty just laughed and went to get both. "Man, I love it here!"

"And we love having you here, man!" Eric said, his mouth full with food. "You're like the brother I never had. I mean I have sisters, but I hate Laurie, and Izzy's such a girl."

"Glad you noticed." Izzy said, giggling.

"Eric," Red said, "after breakfast I want you to rake the yard."