XXIX: Pack Before Self

Their yelling can be heard down the hallway. The reason I know this, is because Noir and Idris are standing with me at the end of it. The sounds echo, nearly thumping off the walls. While Alpha Ernouf and Luna Lovetta are giving an earful to Ulric, he's just as adamant to give it right back. I never imagined our secret would surface quite like this, but I suppose it doesn't matter now. There's a lot about our circumstance that I can account for or expect, the unknown thrilling, yet terrifying.

It's out in the open, Ulric as my beloved, I as his mate.

I wouldn't have it any other way...

...I have no regret for what I've done. I did what was best for me, what I wanted for once in my life...something I was so sure about—something I am sure about.

"So..." Idris looks over at me as I lean my back against the wall, "...how exactly. I...hmmm," he rubs his chin as he looks at me in complete confusion. He finally gets it out in a stammer, "H-How are y-you U-Ulric's m-mate?"

Noir has her arms crossed beneath her breasts, releasing a sigh as she looks at Idris. Another pack member comes up to this floor and Noir raises a finger to her lips, as if the yelling from the office isn't easily heard by everyone else at this point. I feel like Ulric is fighting a losing battle...

...we did something that's forbidden. We're not going to be rewarded for it, nor are we allowed to continue with what we wanted in life.

I know it might seem weak of me to have already given up, though what other choice do I have right now?

Alpha Ernouf already passed his judgment, and I can't blame him for the move he must make. He's protecting everyone, for what Prince Rune can and will interpret when he finds me here if I stay long past his deadline.

I want nothing more than to believe this is all a prank, though it's not. I want nothing more than to go back to our home and enjoy Ulric's company for every second that I can, though I can't.

After the pack member leaves, Noir glances at Idris and then at me. Her voice isn't condescending, nor is it judgmental when she notes, "I can't say this wouldn't have turned out badly under other circumstances...though, I don't think anyone was expecting the reason behind why you must leave."

"I know..." my voice is barely above a whisper, my gaze falling to the ground. I know better than anyone else, yet I just can't wrap my head around and comprehend it.

Why?

"But like...how did they mate—"

"Idris!" Noir snaps as she cuts him off a second too late. That's exactly what I thought at first, so I can't hold it against him for wanting to pry into something so...intimate.

Idris shrugs his shoulders, his eyes widening as he himself can't believe he's asked this. However, he's already opened that door and continues on down the hall when he states, "What? I'm curious, okay?! There's never been anything like this before, and I just—"

He isn't cut off by Noir this time. Instead, the door to Alpha Ernouf and Luna Lovetta's office opens. We all turn our attention to Alpha Ernouf as he leaves first, holding the door open. He catches sight of us and then his gaze hardens slightly, almost...forcefully.

Ulric's nostrils flare as he growls lowly, leaving through the door. My heart stops when he sees us also, though he pulls his gaze away quickly and turns down to the hallway leading to the stairs. My heart drops to the pit of my stomach when he turns away, the bridge of my nose stinging...as if I weren't expecting for this to already happen. I indulged in a brief glimmer of hope that was just snuffed out right in front of my eyes.