VIII: Canis Major

VIII: Canis Major

I am under þögn...

...this treatment feels like I'm isolated. Frozen, against my coven, family, those of the vampire society.

Blóð?

Oh, yes, they are aristocrats, yet they are beneath the common folk now. Right now, this is because I couldn't just do what was expected of me. Why couldn't I just give like my family all have at some point in their lives? Why couldn't I selflessly throw myself for other's gain?

How could they agree to this, and on top of it, hide everything from me?

How?!

I'm in tears, gripping the covers of my bed as I stifle a shriek into the pillow. They are not allowed to talk to me, no...not for a year.

þögn...

I shake my head in disbelief. It comes as a harsh reality when a knock comes from my door and I open it. It's like he's looking right through me. Eli speaks in an even tone, "Weekly feed, for those attending."

Yet, it is still expected of me to do everything without missing a beat. As if this isn't affecting me, as if it's my new reality of being nothing more than a waste of space. Why...why...?!

I want to yell, to scream, to hit Eli until I feel something.

In silence, I follow behind Eli as he walks down the hallway. I catch Odette out of the corner of my eye and the sadness in her eyes nearly causes my heart to break. She looks away, and I follow down to the front door before I follow my parents silently as well.

Not only did Prince Rune not choose me for his beloved...

...I will never have a beloved as no one will choose me now. I'm tainted.

Prince Rune, in fact, was so traumatized by the incident...yes, he was traumatized, he didn't choose a beloved last night. No, he will need time to think hard on this choice.

He distinctly threatened me, "You took what should have been my happiness tonight! I will take everything away from you that makes you happy for the rest of your pitiful immortal existence!"

I...

Now I have no choice in the feeding grounds, I am not on rotation any longer. The theatre is a horrible place to find humans, though mother loves to see their memories of the fine arts. It's painful taking part in an intimate part of vampires every night lives when I can't truly be...

I'm shaking, trying to stifle my anger and rage. It hurts badly and when I step inside the house, father orders, "Everyone who lives here will stay in their rooms for the rest of the night."

It's an indirect, direct order for me that anyone else can break.

Tears trail down my cheeks as I rush to my room, slamming the door shut behind me. My nails break the skin of my palms as I dig them into my flesh. I need to feel something...my heart beats fast as I slide off my bed, lying on my back as I stare up at the ceiling. Breathing in and out slowly, I want to dissolve away, though I just continue to rest in this existence.

"Wanderer Odette?" I ask with confusion as the door to my room opens and she quickly steps inside before closing it. She looks around the room and her eyes rest on me.

Yes, I must address every, single vampire by their proper title...even if they choose to continue as if I'm frozen in time and don't exist.

I don't even know if she's going to respon—"Cut that title crap...Wren, I am so, so sorry this happened to you..." she drops to her knees next to me, looking me over as she wraps her arms around me.