XXXII: Söfnun

XXXII: Söfnun

My heart hammers in my chest. It still feels as if Odette has freshly ripped out the rug beneath the feet of my life. It's painful, knowing that the sum of my life has been a lie. While kept and cast in the shadows to protect our bloodline, we truly have not been living to our potential. Especially when it comes to the segregation that the Covenant-Pack Treaty has sorely become.

Peace forced through a mutual arrangement can never be given the chance to fully evolve, to flourish. That is the double-edged sword that the Covenant-Pack Treaty is. A quick way to end whatever brawling that took place between the vampires and werewolves, though short-sighted in the long run.

I miss him so much already; my heart can hardly bear it.

The bridge of my nose stings as I await with my family outside of the great manor that belongs to the Hárauður bloodline. The wind is fiercer as the end of the season is on the brink of shifting once more. The howling of the wind reminds me of the wolf that cries for me, my heart hurting as I raise a hand and clutch it beneath the cloak shielding me from the cold.

What Odette confided to me, it hardly sits well, yet at the same time...hope...

Odette will go before Alpha Ernouf and Luna Lovetta, through the Ancient Pride Pack territory. She will inform the two of the change in historical events, and ensure that my beloved, Ulric, is aware of the truth. She will bring a signed letter that will serve as proof, for when I take the throne, that letter will be made law instantaneously.

Odette will ensure I have the backing of the werewolves. As each pack is their own entity, with alliances between akin wolves, they all must abide by what the Covenant-Pack Treaty represents...any and all changes, they all must be in agreement. Even if they can't agree with one another within their own society...they must for this legally binding agreement.

In order to have the life I want; I must embrace the one I despise.

I must be calm. I must be wise. Breathing in and out slowly, the door opens, and we are ushered inside. After the vampire closes the door behind us, he offers to take our coats. After relinquishing them, he leads us down toward a room I have not seen before, a very lovely and airy sitting room.

The fire burns brightly in the fireplace at the back wall across from the grand opening. Four couches angle as so to interact with one another, my heart skipping a beat the moment I set my eyes on the royal Hárauður coven family.

I—I am royal.

My family is royal...

...they just don't know it.

This hardly gives me any courage to top off what I must do. Though, I push onward. While my parents walk forward, the King and Queen rise from the couch they have been sitting on.

King Seskel smiles brightly as he welcomes father with a handshake up to the elbow, "Corbin! I see your family is doing much better with the safe return of your precious daughter," King Seskel turns to rest his gaze on me, addressing me, "Wren."

That's right...no fancy titles. We are here to be at the same level and playing field to get to know one another. One can't be expected to do that when constantly keeping guard as to not embarrass the other.

Queen Arabella and mother hug gently, kissing each other's cheeks as if they are long lost sisters. Mother admiring the gown that Queen Arabella wears, "Arabella, you look positively divine!"

"Oh, Raven, stop," Queen Arabella giggles lightly while playfully swatting a hand at mother. She then adds, "I'll let you try on some that would bring out your eyes even more."