39

Hey everyone!! I thought WTF. sums up everything pretty well :)
________________________^_^_____________

The process of changing out of my soaked clothes the night before was miserable. It reminded me why I didn't swim half the time. The soggy clothes being stuck to my skin like glue was enough to make me want to puke. 

The first part of the morning with Josephine was awkward.

For some reason, whenever I asked her a question, she answered in one worded-syllables. Like she had better things to do than speak to me. I wasn't going to sulk and ponder over this fact, so headed right over to the co-ed bathrooms and showered as quickly as I could. 

When I reached the dorm room again, I was glad Josephine had gotten over her attitude and offered me to come with her to breakfast. I was glad when I saw that there was breakfast pizza. I knew it was the one item I probably didn't need, but after what happened last night, I just wanted to bury myself in something greasy.

As I dipped my slice several times into some ranch, Josephine eyed me curiously. 

"Hey, are you okay?"

I looked up at her. "Oh... Yeah. Why do you ask?"

"Oh, nothing. You've just never been so big on pizza. You're acting like there will never be enough."

I dropped my slice of pizza, looking at all the grease on my hands. This definitely was not lady-like or acceptable. 

"Sorry. I know it's not good etiquette... I'm just stressed."

Josephine shrugged. "What can your dad really do? Worst comes to worst, He'll find out you hung out with Hero and he'll get over it."

I shook my head. "I don't think it'll be that simple this time."

Josephine raised an eyebrow urging me to answer. 

"Hero... um... pleasured me..."

Josephine looked utterly lost. "What do you mean?"

"I mean.." I paused. "He touched me.. down... there... you know..."

Josephine gasped, looking like she'd seen a ghost. 

"Oh my god... How did that even happen?"

"It's a long story," I replied, "Let's head up to the dorm. I'll tell you all about it."

When we had eventually made it to Lassen Hall and up to our dorm room, I prepared to tell Josephine about what I promised, but almost as soon as I sat on my bed, my phone went off. Looking down I saw that it was my father. He couldn't read minds, could he?

"Hello?" I answered.

"Kristina." My father stated in a monotone. 

I already knew I'd done something wrong in his eyes. 

"Yeah?"

"You didn't call last night."

I sighed. "Yeah, I... I'm sorry... I was studying-"

"Don't you dare lie to me!" My father snapped, making my heart drop. He couldn't have known-

"Father, I-"

"I know you were at a Starbucks for hours last night," My father went on, making me breathe a sigh of relief, "Why were you on a date?"

I laughed. "I wasn't on a date, father. I was working."

A moment of silence passed through before my father finally replied. 

"Working? What do you- you don't work. You're going to college."

I nearly rolled my eyes. "Father... I am working a full-time job. I decided to do something for myself for once."

I expected my father to be proud but instead, he sounded infuriated. 

"No child of mine will ever work like some... scullery maid in some washed up.... place like that! If you work, you'll go into business, young lady. You will terminate yourself immediately."

I scoffed. "Yeah... um... I don't think so..."

"Excuse me?" My father breathed. 

I clenched my teeth. "I said no. I'm tired of relying on others for my well-being. I'm tired of all the threats. I want to be secure in my own life."

"Kristina, you will do as I say-"

"Goodbye, father."

"Kristin-"

Without a second thought, I pressed the end button and tossed my phone onto my bed. I collapsed, already feeling stronger with the control I felt I had. I almost forgot Josephine was present until she spoke.

"I'm guessing those were your parents.. How did they take things?"

"I don't really care how they take it," I said honestly, "It's my life and I'll live it how I want."

Josephine looked uneasy as she nodded.

Please remember to vote and comment