33 | Depart

Final chapter

The sun shined down as the car rolled down the street. The smiling people, playing kids, beautiful outdoors..

"We're here.." I whispered, looking at the house in front of us.

The door soon opened before Gabby came out, smiling. The kids ran to hug her while Toni and I grabbed the bags out of the car.

We hadn't really been on good terms since he broke his promise. The only reason we were out here is because Hank practically forced him on a plane.

"Hi, beautiful, it's so nice to meet you." She smiled down at Giselle.

"Hey, guys. I'm glad you made it and..." She stopped.

"You're glowing, Ana."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm gonna take these in." He whispered, carrying the bags inside.

"I know my paramedic days are over but I can tell when someone's glowing and there are only a few reasons for you to be.."

"I'm pregnant.."

"Oh my God!" She excitingly cheered. I calmed her down, not wanting Toni to hear.

"He needs to piece himself together before he focuses on another baby. Just don't say anything or hint at it, you know how you are."

"It's gonna be so hard. Come on, let me show you guys around."

-

four months later

"Dad, no, it's like this." Diego showed him a dance. Toni tried but failed again, laughing.

I smiled at the genuine smile on his face. He was finally clean again and happy. Adam and I checked on each other since he'd gotten released.

I hated the guy at first but he turned out to be pretty awesome. He was back in Intelligence, happy to be locking the bad guys away.

"Mm." Gabby moaned as she came through the door, back first, kissing Matt.

"There are kids here!" Toni yelled.

She and Matt broke apart, looking at us with embarrassment.

"What're you doing here, Casey?" I asked the firefighter.

"I am moving in with my wife, and helping with the hurricane relief."

She smiled at him, truly happy that he was here. Matt has sworn that he'd never leave Chicago or Firehouse 51 but her love changed his mind.

"Why don't I put my stuff away and you guys can help make dinner?" He said to the kids.

They groaned before nodding and running off. Gabby occupied Giselle while I pulled my husband's hand into our bedroom, shutting the door.

"I love you.." he said, holding my hands.

I took a deep breath, hoping this was the right time.

"What's up?" He asked, poking my cheek.

"Well, my legs were up and now a baby has to come down." I seriously said. He burst out laughing.

"Do you know how many ways you could've worded that?"

"Yeah, but I chose my way. I hope you're ready Dawson."

"I'll always be ready to conquer anything with you, beautiful." He kissed my lips, embracing me.

"If I had some liquor, I'd definitely make a toast." He said.

"Actually, I don't need it. I just wanna say that you are so beautiful, so amazing, so talented, a wonderful mother, wife, cop... this list goes on. I truly thank you for putting up with me, for taking in kids that weren't yours, hell, for trusting me enough to have kids with me. I know this might not cancel out the bad history but I do love you, and I always will, Ana. To us, our family, our careers and fresh start... What do you think of that, huh?" He smirked.

"I think I want my legs up again.." I whispered.

He bit his lip, locking the door and carrying me to the bed while I laughed. This was such an amazing time for me, I can say I was genuinely happy..